I have known and know people with learning difficulties and to be honest thats all Down's syndrome is. They usually do not live as long as the rest of us. They tend to be very loving and want hugs from just about anyone. They may find new people hard to deal with. They find learning new tasks hard you show them then help them and them watch them do it and depending on how bad they are some may not be able to do things you and I can easily. Most find understanding Money and Time hard. But never treat them as if they are children talk to them as if they are the age they are. I have a friend he is 43 with the mind of a 14 year old I keep conversation to that of a 14 year old. He calls me his special friend because I treat him like any other person. Hope that helps.

Best Answer

Thank you, that's very helpful. one question though, do they look different from us? or they look normal and the only problem is the understanding abilities etc...?

Best Answer

They do look a bit different. Larger eyes and round face look on a search engine at pictures I am sure there must be a few. As for understanding abilities well they are all different and probably talking to the person who knows them best would help with that. I only know what I have seen when I am with a charity that helps those types of people learn farming skills and they cope with that sort of task like planting and growing things and dealing with animals remarkably well. You have to learn not to be embarrased if they ask for a hug before you go. I went to my friends birthday party and I had to go a bit early and one of his friends who is slightly downs said could he have a hug well I could not really say no so he had a hug and the next time I saw him he said you gave me a hug he seemed pleased someone was happy to do it.

Best Answer