I've been on bcp for about 2 weeks now, and about a week in, this dark cloud settled in and I felt depressed on/off. However, yesterday was like the breaking point where I didn't want to leave the house to do anything, so I called in sick at work and skipped 2 days of school. Also, I was driving around up in the hills when I came across this part where there were no railings, and I felt like if I were to drive off the cliff, I wouldn't care. Do you guys feel like this when on bcp, and should I get off it?
daintflower45 daintflower45 18-21, F 3 Answers Jan 18 in Health

I think you should get off it asap! I also stopped taking it because it increased my anxiety and depression. I am sometimes depressed & anxious anyeay but it was a real change on the pill--like never ending PMS. I cried about nothing at random points throughput the day.

Best Answer

I would hault taking it and see how your mood is. Talk it over with your OB too. It may take a month to totally get it out of your system. Hang in there and good luck.

Best Answer

Thank you, I think that's the best plan right now too.

Best Answer

I suppose it could mess with your hormones and exacerbate depressive tendencies. But if you have only been on birth control for two weeks, I would try to give it a little more time. Your body will have to adjust to the pills. If you are having the same trouble this time next month, then I'd call the doc and tell him you need a different pill. But if you are seriously suicidal now, then I would call the doc anyway. It could have nothing to do with the birth control, and it might mean you just need an antidepressant, particularly if you have had issues with depression before.

Best Answer