Depression is so much more than unhappiness. It's a physical, mental and emotional affliction that causes the sufferer extreme torment and affects their ability to do even simple things.

Best Answer

Definitely not. I suffer with depression, have battled it all my life and yet I am not an unhappy person.

Best Answer

As a symptom, yes.

Best Answer

I think in the DSM the classification of "Major Depression" could be described as chronic. Not just unhappiness, but all the other symptoms of depression too.

Best Answer

It could also be a chemical imbalance. But a lot of unhappiness is pretty depressing.

Best Answer

You can define depression as a drunken locomotive for all I but that won't make de definition right.<br />
The problem lies in the fact that on the one hand we have this disease called depression, which is diagnosable, can be treated, or managed, and is a very serious illness. On the other hand we have depression as a desc<x>ription of how we feel, in normal everyday language. The latter usually means something like very unhappy, lang term unhappiness.<br />
If you refer to the illness, the answer is no, you can't define depression as chronic unhappiness.

Best Answer

look up dysthmia or complex PSD- both characterised by being generally unhappy - what this group is getting at is that a decent depressive illness has its own particular character- which is most unpleasant

Best Answer

Or general malaise.<br />
Or a lower than normal point in the geography of an area, or a tropical rainstorm forming.<br />
I think you can definitely be depressed about something but not be clinically depressed. Bummer.

Best Answer

I get that is more of a simpler term of putting it but depression is beyond unhappyness, it is a strong feeling of lowness and darkness.

Best Answer