I have been running in circles with the office for my apartment complex about getting my air conditioning fixed for over a month. They say they have about 40 units to fix, and that it is top priority. I no longer believe this story. They say they'll put a work order in for me. If this was actually being done, they'll have at least 3 orders for my unit laying around. So this isn't believable either. Can I call someone professional to fix my ac and then take it off of my rent or charge the apartment somehow for it? I really don't want to go through the hassle of putting my rent in escrow. Thank you for your help. EDIT: My lease does not say anything about repairs to the apartment.
Mandy5367 Mandy5367 22-25, F 9 Answers May 25, 2009

It depends on what your lease says. <br />
AC isn't a necessity like heat or water - they may have every right to take their time fixing it, and maybe not have to do it at all.

Best Answer

Since you have already made several requests, and they are on paper. That's great on your part. Every parish has different rules. I would call the Justice of the Peace office in your area and ask them that question. I do know that it is the law that a landlord or apt complex cannot rent an apartment without 2 things. 1) a.c. 2) heat... An apartment would be declared inhabitable if so....

Best Answer

If you're paying for AC and not getting it I would tell them they're being dishonest, you've given them enough time, and you're going to call a lawyer if they don't get someone to fix the unit in that week.

Best Answer

You are paying for an air conditioned apartment, right? Everything is supposed to work, right? Call HUD and see what they say. This happened to me once and I told them that for everyday they didn't fix it, I was going to deduct $25.00 from my rent. I also threatened to call Child protective services because I had a child in a swealtering apartment and no air conditioning. Look in the phone book for anything that has to do with housing development. Or call a lawyer. They do have to fix it. Slum lording is against the law in most states. Good luck.

Best Answer