I usto get huge chuncks of meat/fat still on the bone for free from a butcher and feed it to my Dog. He usto love it and it keeps him busy for hours. Is there any problems with dogs eaten raw fish.
UKYoo UKYoo 18-21, M 7 Answers Jan 8, 2013 in Community

animals eat raw all the time in the wild. i dont think it would hurt your dog.

Best Answer

This is a pretty common misconception. Their digestive systems aren't used to it which can cause problems, and the factory-processed meat we buy at the store has different toxins in it that can be harmful. :)

Best Answer

Yeah though so

Best Answer

My dog is usto it and there digestive sytems are usto it. Your right about the toxins but i get meat fish locally from a small buisness

Best Answer

Yes there are problems with that. A full protein diet is very bad for dogs. You have to add vegetables, or u will damage the kidneys. Also raw fish can have parasites. You can talk to a vet for free online.

Best Answer

It won't hurt your dogs and it is healthier for their skin and coats than the dry kibble or lean meat. I would try to avoid really boney fish though, like pike.

Best Answer

Okay what would you suggest?

Best Answer

Any fish that you can de-bone...bass are easy...maybe they will de-bone them for you at the shop where you get them. Then you can freeze them and not have to worry about choking hazards.

Best Answer

Okay thanks what dogs do you have?

Best Answer

I have basset hounds. What do you have?

Best Answer

Newfoundland, lab and a ridgeback

Best Answer

I wouldn't. And also for future reference, dogs have trouble digesting any kind of pork products and it can be toxic to them, depending on how badly it effects each dog. I just learned that recently so I thought I'd mention it in case you were feeding him pork chops or something like that :)

Best Answer

Why not? Dogs are supposed to eat raw food they prefer it. I dont know what it was sometimes it was parts of cows legs and stuff. All the scraps

Best Answer

Ill speak to my vet but i will not give him any pork

Best Answer

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat
Slide #11 and #14 might help you out. #14 talks specifically about the problems with raw fish. I think the fact that they shouldn't eat raw meat has to do with the fact that they weren't raised in the wild, so their systems aren't really used to the constant harshness of the raw meat. I would guess that it's also a factor that with fresh kills, the meat doesn't have time to grow the toxic bacteria that store-bought meat does. Plus, dogs in the wild have a much lower life-expectancy than domestic dogs that are fed dog food. I know there are ways to give your dog a healthy raw diet, but I'm not sure what the factors are.

Best Answer

My male basset has food allergies and is on a diet that consists of pork, sweet potatoes, kidney beans, chicken and tuna. He can also have most vegetables. He has been eating cooked pork for 6 years with no ill effects.

Best Answer

Really? That's interesting. I guess every dog's system is different. Some things are just more common than others. :)

Best Answer

Cats do eat raw fish ( meow ) but I don't know about dogs ( woolf)

Best Answer

raw should be fine frozen? I dunno

Best Answer