One of my steps is to change the locks and resetting the garage door. If I reset and relearn the garage door remote from the previous owner, will I be safe? I tested it on my car, which has the ability to copy the remote. I pressed the learn button to reset the remotes, so that none of them work on the garage door opener. Then I had it learn the old garage door opener. It seems that my car is able to open the garage too! Basically, if the previous owner had that same feature on their car, then they would be able to open my garage! Is the old remote useless then? -_-
Dot11 Dot11 26-30, M 4 Answers Oct 28, 2012 in Parenting & Family

only if its the right model for the door opener. Even if it is you can easily change the code so its safe to use.

Best Answer

It's the right model and all. The instructions doesn't say anything about resetting code on the remote for new homeowners of the property. Just resetting it so that it forgets all remotes.

Best Answer

find the make and model number and go toe the manufacturer's website and look for manual. It should describe the process there.

Best Answer

I have the manual but it doesn't say anything about reprogramming the remote. Only programming it so that the garage door learns it. -_-.

Best Answer

Search the instructions to the product on line and see what it says.

Best Answer

It doesn't say anything for this scenario. Don't think they were expecting the idea of copying remote code. -_-

Best Answer

Can you call the people who made the thing?

Best Answer

Perhaps, but wondering if other people have this issue. I'm sure other people have similar garage door openers with the learn feature.

Best Answer

Dependant on the make and model of the opener and remote, you can purchse a chipset for the opener and remote. See a reputable garage door dealer for the details.

Best Answer

I might as well toss out the old remote and have it learn a new remote.

Best Answer

Yes, it changes the code so the previous owner wont be able to open the garage again.

Best Answer