My daughter was eating a cookie over my keyboard and left powdered sugar on the keyboard and I'm sure inbetween the keys.Can I unplug my keyboard and take it apart and clean it inside without any damage to my keyboard.My computer is new and I take very good care of it and I hate that it probably has sugar in between the keys!!!
TexasLily TexasLily 51-55, F 11 Answers Feb 2, 2009

You can Google the question to the specific make and model of the computer/keyboard and can find specific, detailed instructions and often videos for DIY folks. I disassembled my laptop, cleaned it inside/out, replaced the cooling fan and did some cooling modifications like this. Saved about $150 to $250 on the total of what I did and I am not, repeat not, in any way a DIY person! I know this is old, but for folks viewing it from now.... Google, Google, Google as specific or generic as you want, the info is there.... Peace and Blessings

Best Answer

They are cheap but if you have expensive one there is a way. My brother pops out the keys and there is a thin plastic/silicone mat that lays between the circuit. You can clean that. He did mine for me before(we have the more costly wireless ones) and worked out great.

Best Answer

In theory, yes.<br />
In practice, I like Pickle's idea better.

Best Answer

You could probably pop up the keys one by one. I would try one key and see if you can get it back on again before I did that, though. Better yet: get a can of air.

Best Answer

I wouldn't try to take it apart. You can try to vacuum it or spray canned air plus maybe a little cleaner on a Q-tip or something like that

Best Answer

Yeah, just be careful not to break anything. Taking it apart won't damage it as long as you only remove parts that are meant to be removed. You can buy cans of compressed air that are specifically designed for cleaning computer parts and other electronics.

Best Answer

If it's just a standard, run-of-the-mill keyboard, go for it. But do so carefully. Don't force anything apart, or it won't go back together right, or at all.<br />
If you're like me and bought a fancy keyboard that costs $70, then don't. XD picklethepenguin has an advisable procedure for that.

Best Answer