My mom has a baby so there is always baby shampoo and body wash around from Johnson&Johnson. So I was wondering if I can use that stuff on my cat when I give her a bath? Pet shampoo is expensive and if they test all their products on animals anyway, shouldn't I be able to use it? (P.S. I don't give my cat baths all the time. This will only be my third time giving her a bath and I have had her since she was a baby. She is 3 years old now. So don't tell me that cat should never get baths and all that stuff)
morlaqueen morlaqueen 16-17, F 22 Answers Jul 18, 2011

NO. Baby shampoo will dry out the cat's skin. EVERYONE else that answered put absolutely no research into their answer. You should use shampoo made SPECIFICALLY for cats. Not for dogs, not for babies, not for ferrets. Use cat shampoo to reduce irritation and prevent drying out the skin.

Best Answer

I wash my kitties all the time!! They both get their faces washed in the am just like my kids. They go in and out whenever they want to....they also like to sleep with me, so I wash their paws. I am washing my bed right now because, like cats, they were rolling in the dirt. My turquoise sheets are now brown! Guess what they are doing tonight? Yup, taking a bath with baby shampoo.

Best Answer

If the cat gets into something it shouldn't ingest, or if allergies in the home necessitate bathing, it is entirely appropriate. My hint is put a towel or old window screen in the tub before adding water. That way the kitty has something to hold onto besides your skin! Also towel dry completely afterwards to avoid chilling it. As far as the shampoo, I'm not sure, but if you choose to use baby shampoo, you might dilute it before hand in a plastic pitcher. That way you get better coverage, easier rinsing, and the stripping of the oils will be kept to a minimum. Good luck!

Best Answer

I'm also thinking the same thing. For all the idiots out there who say "cats clean themselves", you obviously know nothing about cats. I have a kitten who lets my do anything to her XD Lucky me. But I ran out of shampoo and now am considering baby shampoo O_O It would be best to ask your vet instead of getting pathetic answers form idiots who say "get some band-aids". :)

Best Answer

Number one cats are self cleaning for a reason. They have an oil in their hair for a reason. However, if you have a cat that does go outside you can use baby shampoo. Only their must be no scent to it and only do it when you have too.

Best Answer

the 'no more tears' formula is used sparingly. But you miss the point, Cats are self cleaning.

Best Answer

They can't get everywhere and can't clean everything...if they could my cat wouldn't smell like crap and her coat would be shiny

Best Answer

if that's the case, you cat might be ill. I have had c ats all my life and never had that problem unless they are sick.
close the bathrooom door before you start have the towels ready, and the bandaids.

Best Answer

I don´t see why not.<br />
I just wouldn´t use it the other way around ;-D

Best Answer

rrRRRRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! FFtttttt! Fft! Murarrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! HHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Best Answer

Get an extra box of bandaids.

Best Answer

Baby shampoo will be fine so would a mild dishwashing liquid.<br />
As a cat lover i can't help it - a cat keeps themselves clean, you DO NOT need to wash them unless they get in something greasy. The look of disgust/fury on their face when you do it should be enough to make you realise it's not right.

Best Answer

It might be okay, you might want to compare the ingredients in each first or talk to a Veterinarian about doing this. Don't cats do a good job of keeping themselves clean already?

Best Answer

Not my cat haha she is dirty and she smells like cat poop lol

Best Answer

cats clean themselves

Best Answer

o u were serious?!

Best Answer

Yeah, baby shampoo is really mild so it wouldn't cause skin irritation. I've used it before on pets. Try rinsing with a wee bit of vinegar in the water.. makes the coat nice and shiny and soft!

Best Answer

You can, but are you asking my permission? Because that would be a may*

Best Answer

Yes, if your cat will permit it.

Best Answer