It seems to me that there are so many religious people who are hypocrites. So many Christians seem to lie, steal, murder, and commit adultery, and then go around claiming to be Christian. How can someone reasonably claim to be a religious person when all their behaviour and attitudes contradict the fundamental beliefs of their religion? Are these people just lying about their religious beliefs for a good image, status and politics? There are only a very few people who I belief have spiritual integrity, and even those people I believe are confused and have hypocritical thoughts, despite keeping integrity in their actions.
Agonystick Agonystick 22-25, M 9 Answers Feb 5, 2013 in Religion

I think it was Ghandi that said he would become Christian when he met a real Christian. Unfortunatly there are people that are royal hipocrites. I myself have found that at times have fallen very short of being true to myself. Please remember we are all human so we make mistakes. Those that do it on purpose you can see through the crap and to who they are. Try to see the one's that do the best they can to be as Christian as possible. We are out here and not all like you described. Take care and Blessings to you!

Best Answer

Yes I have known some people that you describe, but I think most are just blatantly contrary to their religious beliefs. Not just lapses or indiscretions, but complete contradictions to their religion's ethos. I'm sure that there are many "religious" people who unapologetically lie, cheat and steal for their own personal gain. It makes me think that they don't actually believe it at all, but are only claiming to for societal benefits of having religious associations. For example, if you claim to be religious, most people will automatically believe that you are a person with good moral judgement, and therefore will trust you. I wonder how many closet Atheists there are that are just using religion to get ahead. I recognize the people that actually try to practice spiritual integrity, but most just seem completely hypocritical.

Best Answer

You bring up a very good point and I hope that people see this. Your actions speak much louder than your words can. There are those religious people that are very career oriented and will do what they think they have to do to get where they want to go. It's sad that you have run into some of the worse examples of Christianity. I'm sorry for that too. You are most certainly right - to go through the motions and not really mean it is harmful and self-serving. To some people it is about where you can get to and how fast you can get there. I've taken 5 years to get to where I am now in the Roman Catholic Church and seen many bad examples to follow. However, I have also seen some good examples and not necessarily Christian either at times. It looks like you have seen them too. It's great you can see through the bad and find the good people. All I can say is hold tight to the good people in your life and let the others go. Arguing with them only makes them worse.

Best Answer

Yeah I guess arguing would just create conflict, but it would be nice to understand, or expose those that systematically contradict their own beliefs. And although I respect those people I know that seem to practice integrity, they mostly seem confused and their beliefs seem founded in personal bias and consequential rationalization. For example, I had a friend who was against pre-marital sex. But when I talked to him about his past girlfriends, he sort of hinted that he desired to have sex, and that they just led him on and cheated on him. So I have a feeling that he is rationalizing his failure by advocating abstinence. I still respect him though for his constant striving for spiritual integrity, but doubt where that spirituality comes from.

Best Answer

Well, seems to me you have a good handle on what is right and what is wrong. :) I am happy to see that you know the difference between those that just say and those that try their best to do what is right.:) As for your friend: I understand what your saying and your right - practice what you preach goes much further than a confused and misguided direction of your actions. :) Take care and God Bless!

Best Answer

I hope so. Thats why I need Christ. He already knows I will fall short. But I will keep trying to be the man he hope's I will become.

Best Answer

Falling short is one thing. Consistently and blatantly contradicting the philosophies is another. If someone is doing the latter, I think that they really need to examine their beliefs.

Best Answer

Or try much harder. I can only speak for myself. What I do wrong on a constants basis I do not do blatantly. But every day I know I need to pick myself up and try again. That why I ask for forgiveness, I/We need too. As for other I can NEVER judge them. I do not live there life or understand there beliefs.

Best Answer

Sounds like a good way of looking at things. Keep trying to be a better person by always examining your beliefs and actions, as well as rectifying your mistakes.

Best Answer

Hardly any Christians even know what Christianity is. The same for most religions.

Best Answer

There is much truth in this.

Best Answer

That's the problem with man made religion, not like their is another kind. With no greater voice telling people they are doing it wrong, they can pretty much do as they please, and start another sect/denomination if they choose. Justifying anything.

Best Answer

To be a proponent requires only words.

Best Answer

K insert the word genuine.

Best Answer

I would suggest that those professed Christians are simply that, professed Christians. I tend to give those who attempt at any level to practice any positive religion a bit of slack. No sense in throwing out the baby with the bath. At least they make an attempt now and then.

Best Answer

By attempting "now and then" they are just demonstrating that their religious morality is arbitrary and not genuine. I agree that people who make a solid effort at spiritual integrity should be respected. But most just seem blatantly and unapologetically hypocritical. I've only met a few religious people who seem genuine. The rest I feel are trying to cover up their immoral disposition by claiming to be religious.

Best Answer

I've seen plenty of that as well.

Best Answer

Sure, you can respect the objecives and goals, the way they conduct themselve, but not want to do it yourself

Best Answer