Riffster Riffster 46-50, M 30 Answers Jul 31, 2012

My oath, when I joined the Marines fresh out of high school all those years ago, was to defend the Constitution from threats both foreign AND domestic.<br />
Damn straight I am critical. I also participate, as opposed to simply being an armchair quarterback for politics, because nothing prevents corruption better than active involvement.

Best Answer

Thank you for your service and for continuing to affect change.

Best Answer

Well, I know what kind of world I want my kids to grow up in, and I also have seen it being co-opted by those who do not want my kids to have the same or better opportunities that I had. I refuse to roll over when my kids are involved.

Best Answer

Semper Fi! It bothers me tremendously to hear some broadcast bloviators (and some folks on this site) talk "tough" about how we need to attack various countries, nuke them, etc., when those very same people have not served in the military, would never serve, and counsel their own children against serving. Talk is cheap. People who urge going to war need to get trained and march toward the sound of the battle or else shut up.
I can definitely say that my service in Vietnam made me MUCH more involved with the political process.

Best Answer

Yes because true patriotism DEMANDS criticism and tough love.

Best Answer

I think you can't be a patriot without the critical eye. Without the realistic look at the country, you are not patriotic, but simply sheep.

Best Answer

This sounds like what being a real patriot is about, not just accepting your country's decisions, but adding your own to try make it better.

Best Answer

There's a huge difference between patriotism and chauvinism.

Best Answer

deff!!! it inportant to speak up if think something wrong !

Best Answer

Yeah, I think its sort of required.

Best Answer

Absolutely...in fact, I'd consider constructive criticism of the country, nation and society to be an important part of being a patriot.

Best Answer

You can be a terrorist and still be patriotic. <br />
When the Way is forgotten <br />
Duty and justice appear; <br />
Then knowledge and wisdom are born <br />
Along with hypocrisy. <br />
When harmonious relationships dissolve <br />
Then respect and devotion arise; <br />
When a nation falls to chaos <br />
Then loyalty and patriotism are born. <br />
Lao Tzu

Best Answer

But of course, and in fact more of a patriot then those who do not question their homeland.....

Best Answer

Absolutely ! Just don't criticize the president or you'll be labled a racist.

Best Answer

Depends on the nature of the criticism. Some criticism is designed to be helpful. Other criticism is more in the nature of a personal attack--especially when it involves name calling, and so on. There's a difference. Some people don't know the difference.
And let's be clear on this: Racists DO launch angry, personal, fire-breathing attacks on the President. We see them in the media and, in some cases, on this site.

Best Answer

Why is it racist to disagree with a president who is half white ?

Best Answer

WE have freedom of speech and ex<x>pression. If there is something that you are not happy about then you need speak out. You are not betraying your country and feeding the enemy are you? Criticism does not mean the enemy of the state

Best Answer

of course..it means you do your own thinking

Best Answer

Yes. Without people questioning things we would never improve. Of course, it's up to the politicians to change/take into consideration said critiques and many of them live in a fantasy world inhabited by fairies and unicorns.

Best Answer

Yes, the same way you can see a loved one's faults and love them anyway.

Best Answer

yes, if you love your country, then shame the **** out of it

Best Answer

Absolutely. If you don't question your country you're not a patriot you're a jingoist.

Best Answer

Yes, I think it is common today. We are worried about where our leaders are taking us.

Best Answer

Yes, when it is CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Best Answer

Yes.

Best Answer