Can you entertain the idea that time is actually a measurement of distance traveled, or can you clearly explain the relationship between time and distance? You stand stationary and one hour passes, although you are stationary your position has moved in relation to time and space. In other words nothing on the planet is truly stationary because of the earths rotation and movement through space. I know this is elementary for some of you. Should I go back to nonsense or political questions?
puck61 puck61 51-55, M 17 Answers Dec 19, 2012 in Travel

1. Time is an abstract thing. You could say time is 60 minutes, but then again, you could say your mind is the thing imagining time. Time does not ACTUALLY stretch over a distance of land. <br />
2. Distance is the span of two things. Not measured in time. It's a physical thing, distance is.

Best Answer

I hope I don't sound patronizing when I say you're really smart for your age. You'll have to be more quiet about your plans for a revolution. Nothing is scarier than a revolutionary with a high IQ.!

Best Answer

Many that are young are the ones that evoke change. After all if that were not so, the old foggies (joking, they were all young people) that came over to North American would not have revolted against England

Best Answer

MWHAHAHAHA. The evil genius set to take over the world!!! &gt;:) But really, thanks. I was just trying to answer the question as well as poss.

Best Answer

I got hear by google-ing the same question :). Why i did that? I have this thing in my head:<br />
If you are in America and I in... Germany. We might see different times on a clock but there is no different time. We are existing at the same time. I have seen a documentary about time travel. They said if you were to travel at the speed of light around the globe for a week when you will stop 100, or something like that, years would have passed. Also they said when we look at the star which are billions of light years away we see them as they were at that time because light reflected from those stars took that many years to reach hubble. Now back to earth. I we were to see from America to Germany and I would wave... would you see me with the time difference? And if we look at a star that is 2000 light years away we see it as it was back then... by that time hypothetically live might have evolved in there and they are looking at us and see us as we were 2000 years ago. IMO we need other ways to explore space. We cannot use reflected light as reference of time we cannot use or life as reference of time. If we are to explore the universe we need something faster than the speed of light.

Best Answer

I've heard the phrase, "Folding Space". Do you know anything about that?

Best Answer

Time is a measurement of durations of events and the intervals between them. Then there is distance to contend with. Distance is a numerical desc<x>ription of how far apart ob<x>jects are. Distance and time work together or better still; distance and time work together to form a relationship. Time multipled by distance will get you velocity. Now if that isn't mind boggoling. Might take boggoling on since I am on a roll.<br />
Mind boggoling is to be astonished or overwhelmed when trying to imagine something. Which could result from trying to rationalize time and distance together. Miles per hour is an example to ponder.

Best Answer

Time grants you the wisdom in order to realise the need to go the distance. The journey, not the destination. Irrespective of physical or spiritual distance we shall meet in the same place, all in good time.

Best Answer

Philosophy meets relativity.

Best Answer

Indeed. Even in my capacity as a chemistry teacher one cannot dismiss this approach. It is by thinking in this manner that the evolution of science managed to emerge from it's infancy of pure speculation. There were many detours on the road which developed the scientific method.

Best Answer

That would be metaphysics wouldn't it?

Best Answer

Nice... the age old battle of the disciplines. Ask yourself why were the individual disciplines created? Man's inability to truly fathom the complete intricacy of any natural or man made phenomena. Chemistry is the physics of the atomic/molecular world. Mankind firstly seperates the disciplines into digestible chunks and then reintroduces a greater understanding through inter disciplinary collaboration. But even aristotle knew that the whole is more than simply the sum of it's parts.

Best Answer

Moving isn't inherent to time; it simply often happens to correlate because everything just happens to be moving.

Best Answer

One simple sentence I've been trying to wrap my mind around for about 5 minutes now! I know it's the truth, it's just the 'how' part that's got me baffled a bit.

Best Answer

Time itself is more relative than distance is. I would say distance rules over time more than the other way around.

Best Answer

Time and Distance are both measures, but they are measures of different things. The motion of the earth and the stars are a measure of distance and not of time unless you qualify the distance measurement by stating a value for the initifial moment and the final moment

Best Answer

I'm glad I asked this question. It's getting a lot of meaty answers including this one, thanks.

Best Answer

You can quantify the time in terms of distance, as we travel out further into the outer most limits of the universe with each passing moment. We are always moving and nothing is actually stationery in the universe. And, I'm not talking about theoretically moving but actual movement.

Best Answer

That's what I was chewing on when I asked this question. Like I told Ivan I think it's 'relativity for tots'. Probably too much coffee or something.

Best Answer

Ah, yeah I read the initial details again and it fits. My mind is kinda burnt out from trying to finish up my finals, so I apologize.

Best Answer

My MIT physics text book of 40+ years ago stated that "time is what you measure with a clock", and "distance is what you measure with a ruler."<br />
Cheers,<br />
AnonymousButCandid

Best Answer

Certainly wouldn't argue that, I'm glad we have lasers now! I can't imagine trying to measure any remarkable distance with a ruler.

Best Answer

As you are probably aware, there are no good definitions of time, space, distance, mass, charge, charm (a term associated with quarks), except to "punt" and say these basic features of the universe are what we measure with various instruments. Cheers..... AnonymousButCandid

Best Answer

I really appreciate that input. That long sentence sums it up pretty good for me.

Best Answer

Time and space (I.e. spacetime) is the same thing.

Best Answer

This takes toooo long to write. The McKenna brothers had some interesting ideas. Dennis seems to be a bit more rational.

Best Answer

Time is as far as I can tell a construct. Nobody can adequately define what it means. Stuff just changes. The past and future don't really exist in any way. We just have memory and anticipation. There's right now, and right now is always changing. <br />
Distance is a little easier to define. It's the word we use for the gap between two points of some sort, usually physical but it can be abstract.

Best Answer

Google "arrow of time"

Best Answer

Time is how long it takes to travel the distance which is how far you will go in that time!

Best Answer

sublime simplicity!

Best Answer