my MIL has been nasty and rude to me for years. she's overboard complimentary to me now. i have forgiven her for her nastiness to me in the past, but i really don't like her, apart from forgiving her. her personality annoys me. i wish her well a nd to be happy, but i just don't want to be around her. it's really just a personality clash, and a big one. does forgiveness mean you have to want to be around them? isn't it enough to wish them well, but stay away?
robyn robyn 51-55, F 24 Answers Nov 1, 2009

Absolutely. Letting go of your anger is done for your well being, not the well being of the one being forgiven.

But no relationship is mandatory. Be free of their bullsh!t!!

Best Answer

Absolutely you can forgive and thats great, but don't forget and thats fine too protecting yourself from more potentual hurt is the smart thing to do. Be civil thats all you owe her.

Best Answer

I forgive my mother, and I haven't spoken to her in 12 years, and I forgive my "family" and they are not in my life either for 22 years and counting. I didn't want to be like them so I broke away and my being a better person has alienated me from that brood. There can't be a more spiteful, unbalanced, back stabbing, selfish, hateful, bi polar group of people than them. I will NEVER get involved with them again. EVER!!!

Best Answer

Yes. Once you've forgiven someone who has contiually wronged you, keeping your distance is basically self preservation.

Best Answer

Yes. The forgiveness can be a given, but the walking away is usually done to heal deep wounds. Sometimes wounds can take a lifetime to heal or not even at all. It usually depends upon the outstanding circumstances.

Best Answer

Yep..I do it all the time.

Best Answer

I've forgiven my past friends for what they have done, however, I have no desire to be a part of their lives

Best Answer

Of coarse you can.

Best Answer

forgiveness erases any kind of negativity in your heart. it makes you feel better. since this is your mil, stay cordial but stay true to your own piece of mind. life is too short to waste time and energy on toxic relationships. lots of luck.

Best Answer

I want nothing to do with some people I know well, and like. S sure, someone who has wronged me is easy to both forgive and never see again. There are very few people I ever really want to see again the rest of my life, including most everyone I've ever had to forgive. Forgive, don't forget.

Best Answer

Forgiveness is complete, when the matter that needs forgiveness, no longer has an effect. Your forgiveness of your MIL will take time to complete, but eventually you will hopefully be able to co-exist, and maybe even want to. And you know who can help you forgive. Good luck, and thanks again for the EPhriendship. lol, just made that up, I like it though, phriend.

Best Answer

I think you have a healthy outlook....You can forgive her (after all, forgiveness is a choice)....but, because she has proven, that she can be nasty, and not trusted with your feelings, you distance yourself from her....All you are doing, is protecting yourself....and that's really good....

Best Answer

For once I agree with BoxingBro.

Best Answer

Yes you can forgive someone and still keep your distance from them.

Best Answer

Yes it mens that you are high;y priviples

Best Answer

Yes

Best Answer