I'm going taking the anti depressant before bed. The anti depressant is Apo-Paroxetine. I'm also taking it because I have OCD. I'm not mixing alcohol with the anti depressant.
James2244 James2244 22-25, M 14 Answers Jan 5, 2013 in Depression

Considering that alcohol is considered a mild depressant.. it kind of kills the point of taking the antidep pills doesn't it

Best Answer

This is incorrect. Alcohol stimulates the brain's reward system; it depresses the physical aspect of one's body--not the mental part. Antidepressants also stimulate the reward system--specifically serotonin reuptake.

Best Answer

When my doctor prescribed me anti deps he said no drinking and described why

Best Answer

better ask the doctor...or even the pharmacist.<br />
alcohol will totally defeat the effects of some drugs

Best Answer

I am also on antidepressants and I occasionally have a drink but I never abuse it. It is still best to ask your dr

Best Answer

NO!

Best Answer

You need to ask your doctor. Though I'd also ask why you'd be drinking during the day.

Best Answer

Alcohol is a 'downer', meaning it lowers your mood. You're taking anti depressants to counter this, so in reality, the anti depressants won't do anything for you. In any case, alcohol inhibits the effects of most anti depressants anyway.<br />
Don't drink alcohol while taking any medication.

Best Answer

Ideally your not suppose to but depending on the strenght of the tablets most antidepressants wear off after 6-12-18-24 hours so if its a really small amount then so long has your not taking with the alcohol a small amount you should be ok. but obviously dont go getting hammered best advice is proberly consult a doctor first just to be safe.

Best Answer

It's never good to mix but as long as it doesn't say that you really shouldn't because it can danger your health then I guess you can have some alcohol, just don't drink too much and be sure to ear and drink plenty of water

Best Answer

I don't think that's a good idea. But the question here is why do you want to?

Best Answer

Because I'm going out for dinner with friends.

Best Answer

In that case i would contact your doctor. There are too much different views on the internet to know which one is right.

Best Answer

its not best too

Best Answer

I believe so, but the alcohol will be twice as potent and you're at risk for liver damage. It will depend on your medication too.

Best Answer