What good is "this gift"? How does it help anyone today? <br />
I think people feel pressure to do this and so they do it to gain approval and acceptance within the church body. Peer Pressure. Meet people of all faiths, and no faith.... think for yourself, read, study everything and most importantly, remove emotionalism and ask yourself if you are being honest to yourself and to others.

Best Answer

you shouldn't let anyone who knows you particularly well know, this is a decent place to find some answers, don't listen to the ultra religious people they have to many rules for such things, you should note how you feel after these occurrences, this will give you a hint as to where they may be coming from.

Best Answer

Don't sweat it. Speaking in tongues is the least of all spiritual gifts according to the apostle Paul. I've never spoke in tongues and don't need to. It's not essential for salvation.

Best Answer

I believe that there is some pretty good writing on the gift of tongues. You might try googling it. There are those that believe that of the fruits of the spirit, the gift of tongues was one that was on earth for a time, but then passed away. <br />
I think that tongues was a gift granted to those who needed to testify and spread the gospel, but were impeded by the fact that there would be many languages among the listeners. Therefore tongues was granted as a witness to the fact that the speakers were sent by, and were delivering a message sanctioned by, God. <br />
According to my understanding, tongues were an actual language understood by a group of people- not a lot of gibberish or a language that was solely spiritual or could only be understood by angels or God. They couldn't be faked, and the speaker knew what he was saying as he delivered his message. They served a purpose, and that purpose was mainly to communicate, though the existence of tongues provided a witness that God was working through the speaker. There are those too that believe the gift of tongues involved the hearing of the people as much as the sounds that proceeded from the speaker's mouth, but it's hard to know.<br />
I'm writing with the assumption that you are speaking of "tongues" in the Biblical sense...I don't know much about other religious traditions or cultures that utilize glossalalia.

Best Answer

Bah, histrionics.

Best Answer