I watch 'Lie to Me' all the time, and i love it. The study of facial expression and body language is called kinesics, i want to know if you could study that at university, and which career options there are with it?
amz10101 amz10101 16-17, F 8 Answers May 15, 2009

Yes I can

Best Answer

LunarPanda is correct - if you want the practical side of bodily communication you should try aiming at Physical Education (physiology, physiotheraphy, etc.) or the criminal justice program - these have direct practical outlets. But there is also the theoretical side, in which case I suggest coming abroad to Tartu, Estonia. Our semiotics institute has inherited the complete library of Thomas A. Sebeok who was one of the propounders of kinesics and paralanguage (attended the first conferences, and witnessed the development of the field of nonverbal communication in the latter half of the 20th century). "Kinesics" is or actually Was the study of body motion communication with structural linguistic means (as defined by Ray Birdwhistell in 1971). In the beginning of the 1970s this kind of research was taken over from anthropologists and sociologists by psychologists - like Paul Ekman who's work "Lie To Me" is based on - and was headed towards Only facial expressions and hand gestures. Today this field is so broad is almost defies any definition. Kinesics itself is merely a historical avenue of research, alongside other historical tendencies such as proxemics, oculesics, tactilics, haptics, coenesics, etc. - all these follow the example of phonetics (phoneme-kineme-proxeme analogy) and proved to be quite unsuccessful a long time ago. I can't tell you where this research is today because it became very diffuse in the 1990s and classified (hidden from the scientific community) in the 2000s. In conclusion, yes, you can study "body language" at a university. Some have nonverbal communication courses. If you want to study it full-time, though, you have to make allowances for the field and place of study (e.g. Institute of Semiotics at the University of Tartu, Estonia).

Best Answer

I took courses in the Human Communications department at my university in non-verbal communication (same as Kinesics). What "Lie to Me" portrays as a universal language is really not -- you can get hints of what people are thinking but it is not an exact science by any stretch. I have a really hard time with that show because of their suggestion that you can read all minds by non-verbal cues. That being said, it is certainly quite an interesting field and quite worthy of study and advancement through solid research. Good luck!

Best Answer

Yes, you can study kinesics. Usually at any university that has a really well developed Physical Education progrm that specializes in coaching, for example. You might learn more than just body language, such as why and how the body moves, etc. The body language part might be more in psychology. You might could do a double major, or major/minor combining the two. Physical therapy also falls under this heading, i think. I'd check out any big state school that has a big athletic department. A counselor from there could advise you about possible careers. Good luck. I think this is a coming field, not quite there yet.

Best Answer

I googled Kinesics course and came up with some random community college's criminal justice program in Florida. Apparently you can use it to pursue a career in law enforcement.

This was also interesting

http://www.kinesic.com/Interrogation_courses.htm

Best Answer

Hi amz10101

I did not know it was called Kinesics - thanks. I love micro expressions see my story maybe. You get the truth if you watch carefully!

:)

Best Answer