i want to sue someone for things she purposly posted on facebook about me..things that are not true...how do i go about that?...
happygirl33 happygirl33 31-35, F 12 Answers Dec 15, 2011

Defamation, which is a written defamation, and slander, which is spoken defamation... and yes you can try, but remember that it can be a time-consuming and costly thing to prove. Call a lawyer

Best Answer

Call a lawyer? That is when your bills will spiral out of control...

Best Answer

ah ya.. call a lawyer.. and Yes it is costly but if you plan to sue someone that is a costly experience.

Best Answer

Just use facebook report feature.<br />
Suing may not be worth it unless it prevented you from getting a job or something. Or if they said something that may endanger your life. The list goes on.... Then you can call the cops on that person.

Best Answer

depends if you can prove that what the person is posting is not true and somehow what they were saying hurt you in some fashion then you can sue for defamation

Best Answer

It has to be more than untrue, You can prove that every thing they said was a lie and still loose if you can't prove some damages. like you lost your job over it or something like that.

Best Answer

All they have to do is deny deny deny that they did NOT post it, and they will win. Already been through and going through this now, a man posted threatening comments and it was decided that he did NOT violate a restraining order and he was NOT intimidating a witness simply because he said he didnt write it!!! No one saw him write it so there is NO PROOF that he did!

Best Answer

Agreed on defamation and slander if it's untrue or is being used as harrassment, bullying, etc. Take screenshots of it ASAP!! If they delete it then you will have a hard time geting the court to force them to hand it over, especially if you live in the US. Also, I don't use FB but I read a while back there was some glitch where people could change the dates/times of when they posted things, not sure if this is was true or if it is still going on? Either way, get screenshots!!!

Best Answer

Start out by reporting them to Facebook. Is it someone you know personally or just an online aquaintence? If it is a real life person you know, you can file a decimation of character or bullying. <br />
If you are in school, report it to school and show them the remarks. <br />
You are probably better off unfriending the person and those who know the person. Liars and instigators shouldn't be part of anyone's life.

Best Answer

Yes, especially if its untrue.

Best Answer

You can sue for just about anything but I think you have to prove that it caused hardship like loss of a job. But you really can't sue someone for saying something you don't like. Even if you win there is no guarantee they will pay. Besides..if what they said isn't true then people that know you will already know that. I had a girlfriend call up my friends wife and say that I was bragging that I could have her(the wife) anytime and anyplace. The wife was all pissed off until she told her husband. Thats when he said "that don't sound like something Jeff would say". They knew my g-friend was just trying to cause trouble

Best Answer

Hee Hee! That's not good. What did the person do to them to cause them to do that?

Best Answer

If it is blatantly false and or is injurious to your reputation or is demeaning then yes but lawyers cost a lot of money and you have to find one to take your case ba<x>sed upon the merits of the issue. The alternative is to study how to be your own attorney on line and make sure you have all ba<x>ses covered.. I have tried in a civil case and am turning it over to a professional after months of going it on my own (it's called Pro Se).<br />
I did fine so far just need a good attorney for the final phase.. standing in front of the judge.. <br />
be ware an opposing attorney has ways to lure the Pro Se into a corner especially in the court room before the judge is there or after... and it is legal for them to do it.. you could see your case go up in flames if you say the wrong thing to them.

Best Answer