I honestly want to know: as a Christian do you believe in everything the bible says? Because I find that a lot of people who quote the bible in order to prove something to me (often from Leviticus) seem to forget about all the other "bible laws" in Leviticus. I got into an argument with someone who said a belly button piercing was "slutty" because no one should see a woman's stomach except her husband-- because the bible says that "uncovering the thigh is nakedness." ...But the bible also says that handicapped people cannot approach God because they are "defect," that anyone who touches pig or dead pig should be killed (bye bye football players), that women who are menstruating are unclean and in order to atone for their sin of bleeding every month they must bring pigeons/doves to a priest to be sacrificed, and that women are to be considered possessions owned by men... I guess I just don't understand how you can "pick and choose" what to follow.
NowWeAreNoOne NowWeAreNoOne 18-21 20 Answers Jul 6, 2009

Yes, I do believe in the whole Bible...but, you also have to understand that there is the Old Testament...and the New Testament....

A lot of people twist the scriptures to mean what they want it to mean, and many things in the Bible, are spoken in parables....but, some take it literally....

Google Old Covenant, and New Covenant...it will explain a lot of the differences between the laws of the Old Testament and the New Testament....If you ever have a question, feel free to message me anytime, and I will try to help you understand.

Best Answer

Yes and many of the things that confuse people are usally understood in a context they will not accept. Like your question on Levitical law, there are several different kinds of Levitical law and who they pertain to. God was establishing a group of people who must be different than the rest the world, escpeacially the world they lived in. They were given strict codes of conduct inorder to rid themselves of the temptation of becoming like the others who were in land they were going to. Many of them were for sanitary reason that we no longer need due to increased sanitary conditions in modern times. It seems harsh to us now but was nessary for the time they were being established as a people. They also took many of the commands of God and added somethings to them or made them more than they were intended. Jesus spoke of these things in the Sermon on the mount or the Beautidues.

Many people who do not believe the Bible do not want to believe it and will try and find anything they can not to believe it. Individuals have been trying to disprove it and many over the centuries have laid claim to its end and yet today here it is more relevant today than ever.

Best Answer

We can know by reason alone that there is a God. He must be acknowledged by a worship formed by reason and by obedience to the natural moral law of conscience. Since we have been given a higher destiny than that which is merely natural, we have need of knowledge higher than that attained by mere natural reasoning. The Bible is part of God's full revelation to us. He has given further revelation in other ways. The New Testament is a fruit of the Catholic Church, but it is not the main fruit, for that Church would exist even if not one word of the new testament was written. All that is in the Bible has been revealed by God, some of which is readily grasped, but some of which is most mysterious. Since He has taken the trouble to reveal the Bible, He has every right to demand we believe it. Take care though, for only one version, the Douay-Rheims is accurate and reliable, it being translated from the original languages by the great linguist, St. Jerome. Yes, I believe in the whole Bible, accurately interpreted by the Church, whose property it is.

Best Answer

As much as I hate to agree with shf84, the Bible in its present form is so corrupt from inaccurate translations it IS absurd. I recently learned [www.bible-truths.com] that "Lucifer " as a word that appears exactly ONCE in the whole Bible - Isaiah 14:12 - does NOT mean Satan, and you Christians better sit down for this: is a LATIN word that NEVER appeared in the original Hebrew manuscript since Rome and therefore Latin had yet to be in existence!!! It was inserted around the fourth century by scribes who FELT like doing it in the Jerome's Latin Vulgate where it was supposed to mean "bright light" and was a translation of "xosphoruos" in the Septuagint Version, which is a Greek translation of the Hebrew and doesn't even mean a person it means "howl"; you can check that against the Strong's Concordance. While we're at it, the Mormon founder Joseph Smith plagerized the King James version and only pretended to translate the Hebrew so your beliefs are based on a LIAR. Check out the link for a more thorough scholarly and very convincing analysis of the etymology of Lucifer.

Having said that I can "tease" shf84 by saying I do believe in a lot of the rest of the Bible, that there IS a God whether you are prepared to accept that yet or not, and I don't mean some old geezer with a flowing beard.

jules76 has a good take on things.

No one, not one of us should be arrogant enough to declare absolute knowledge. I don't.

Best Answer

Yep and the Book of Mormon.

Best Answer

Yes, but what you are missing is that Jesus came to be the ultimate sacrifice for our sins. While not everything from the old testament is not used anymore by modern Christians, we still read the stories so we can know what happened before, what life was like and remember another reason why it was so awesome that Jesus came to take all of our sins. I don't know about other Christians, and I can't speak for what they believe, but I feel that anyone, as long as they try to live by what the bible says, and love God and Jesus completely and believe that he is their savior, is going to heaven. This is what Jesus told us, and that is what I have to go by.

Best Answer

Yes what you have pointed out is correct. I certainly do not accept that much of the Bible is fact or even relevent for us today. The Torah is irrelevavnt and only seems to teach rape, death and hate. The New Testament teaches so much more and I try to live my life based soley on the teachings and example of Jesus.

As for the belly button bit. Its your buiseness and none of mine. Just becarefull because there are plenty of slutty and immoral straight guys who could try to take advantage of you . Thats all just be carefull.

Best Answer

All Christians are supposed to independently study the Bible systematically, getting into true understanding and translate the Divine Will into actions for the benefits of all mankind, the children of the One True God. He who does not do so, is only a Christian in name.

I am not a Christian, but I believe that the Bible is the Book of God. like the Quran, the Bhagavad Gita, The Kitab-i-Iqan...and I love to study all of them to gain more divine guidance.

Best Answer

No, of course not! it's a cool story that way too many people take literally at the cost of their souls, ironically - intolerance, discrimination, hatred, xenophobia, homophobia, mysoginy, self-righteousness......all sins apparently, but i've yet to meet a christian who doesn't display this behaviour to some degree. It's sad really, that such a cool guy (JC) could inspire such partisan behaviour; i doubt he'd have minded the gays if he could tolerate the lepers.

Best Answer

I treat the Bible like I do any other work of literature. It was written by a bunch of men, who were of course flawed like everyone else. And of course, time has changed traditions and what society considers norm and taboo. To me, the Bible is a great work of art which contains stories and guidelines to help us through our lives. Should it be taken literally? No.

Best Answer

I do believe the whole bible.

Leviticus is from the Old testament portion. It speaks mainly of the Parisees. Parisees were the forefathers of modern Judiasm (book of Torah). It focuses on preistly code, and restrictions for cleanliness and sexual behaviour.

Most Christians do not follow Levitical laws because of the atonement. (In Judiasm they do not consider Jesus as their saviour). Jesus said that "it is not what goes into the mouth that is an abomination to God - but what comes out of it". He also remarked that "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men." Lastly He also said that they "Strain at a gnat but swallow a camel".

At the end, I believe that our Heavenly Father weighs our heart and how we loved Him and others with it - not how we dress.

Best Answer

Even the Jews stopped practicing the death penalty for all those sins. Personally I think the Torah is evil and irrelevant by todays standards.

Best Answer

I notice that some things seem odd and dont fit but I feel guilty for questioning it. I dont want God to get pissed and smite me.

Best Answer

Yet more absurditys from the bible. "Jesus forgave us" let's see; forgave women for menstrating? How can any body look at a sick *** book like that and call it the word of a god? So what in the new testament god chainged his mind? He's all better now? He made a mistake before? god?

give me a break.

Best Answer

The words that God and Jesus spoke, yes. But some of the descriptions used in other stories by the writers? Well, let's just say that some of it still needs more understanding and investigation from me.

I don't disbelieve the parts that I don't understand. But I don't take them at face value either. Only by questioning can the real meanings be obtained. Which leads to a better understanding of the whole.

Best Answer

Yes, Christians are to believe the Bible is the inspired word of God and it is also one of the greatest historical accounts of the world in the day it was written.

The teachings were an account of the day and some have tried to suggest that we should be living in that day, but most Christians would disagree. If you dive deeper into the culture and traditions of the people the Bible writes about, you will have a better understanding of why some of these teachings, rules and laws exist. Some funamentalists still believe women should cover their face in public and other world religions do this as well. It is an age old tradition and not limited to Christianity. You will find a lot of the Biblical traditions in other world religions besides Christianity and some of the infringements result in death.

Why is it in North America, we have come to accept all other world religions with open arms, regardless of their infractions on human rights, but we criticize Christianity based on some peoples fundamentalist views and interpretaions.

Focus on the big picture. Look at the goodness in Christianity and stop looking for what is "bad". It's like looking at your country or family for what is bad about it rather than what is good about it. Some people are just wired to the negative rather than the positive. Are you one of those people?

Best Answer

The King James Version is the most correct of the translations.

Best Answer

As Christians, our faith starts with the New Testament. Yes, there are signs in the Old Testament about the coming of Christ but the old laws laid down in the Old Testament for the most part served their purpose and as such, Christians aren't subject to them. You'll find references in the New Testament to some of the laws set forth in the Old Testament and so, as Christians, we strive to obey those. All have sinned and fallen from what God intended when He created us but we look at the Bible as our roadmap through life. For me, the Bible is the inspired word of God as written down under that inspiration, by humans. You eithter have to accept it even if you don't always understand it or pick and chose. The moment you pick and chose, you invalidate everything! So, yes, I believe that God had a reason for what's written in the Bible, both Old and New Testaments but Christians have been saved by the death and resurrection of Jesus and therefore aren't bound by dietary laws and such from the Old Testament.

Best Answer

Good question. I am not a Christian so shall not answer, however I shall read the answers with interest.

Best Answer