This is a Bible question more than a religion question. I realize that many people (especially non-Christians) don't approve of any type of proselytizing and that point of view is duly noted by this asker so there is no need to use this question as a platform to "expound" on that. :) For this question, I'm only interested in specific Bible passages that address how a believer should approach witnessing opportunities in regards to peoples of other religions. Sadly, most Bible believing Christians these days don't seem to know their own Bibles, so this question may be difficult for most to answer. I have a few specific passages of my own in mind, but I'm curious as to what other believers have to offer to this topic. Thanks in advance. :)
Intelligently Intelligently 31-35, F 15 Answers Apr 18, 2012

EP peeps can ask others not to participate, but that is as unreasonable as christianity itself. If you only want to talk to religious addicts, there are plenty of such web sites available. The need to control others is never a healthy sign.

Best Answer

I qualified this question because it is a *Bible* question. If a non-believer happens to want to answer, I can't control that. But I asked politely and qualified my question so as not to get rude answers from people who are only commenting for the sake of brandishing their personal resentment issues with the Christian faith. :)

Best Answer

Duh. I got that. What you failed to grasp is that you are unreasonable.

Best Answer

Athiests do something similar on occasion. What about free speech huh?

Best Answer

It's unreasonable to narrow the parameters of my question in order to draw out the best answer? I'm sorry, but again, I think you're just brandishing your resentment toward the Christian faith. The fact that you think mocking and belittling me for asking a Bible knowledge question is perfectly acceptable behavior only proves your motives to be malicious. It isn't unreasonable to qualify a question on EP. If so, EP wouldn't have added a specific drop down selection box for the explicit purpose of doing so. :)

Best Answer

This is a free speech site. Atheism has been declared a religion by the US Supreme Court.

Best Answer

Yes. It is always unreasonable to even think you can control others. You seem pretty fixated, too. That isn't a good sign either.

Best Answer

I'm addressing you politely and with courtesy. Considering that your tone has been trollish and abusive from the moment you first responded to my question, I think it's clear who is out to get who in this scenario. You don't bother me. You're welcome to comment. But if your only goal is to try to use abrasive language in hopes of getting me to go off on you and return the favor, I'm afraid you're wasting your time.

Best Answer

No. That is my final answer. People here and everywhere must learn by the behaviors of fundies like you that religion is a mere thought addiction. You might as well be Muslim.

Best Answer

Well I am so happy to read that that's your final answer. ;)

Best Answer

Couldn't let it go, could you? I really think people like you are mentally ill, and it is important for people to know that religion distorts people.

Best Answer

Probably one of those individuals who holds that religious people are nasty and quarrelsome.

Best Answer

Yes. It's been clear to me from the beginning that she's projecting her own sense of instability onto me because my question ("spiritually charged" as it were) poked her in a sensitive spot. It's obvious that the religious people here are not the nasty or quarrelsome ones. She's intentionally poking us (me) with her pointy stick in hopes of drawing out negativity. She wants the last word, but doesn't want to admit that, so she complains about me "not letting it go" when I am only responding to her with civility. I'm not egging her on, but it seems to annoy her even more, because that makes -her- look like the big bad meaniehead rather than the "fundies" that she wants others to feel so afraid of. It's projection at its finest, actually. EP is a wonderland of human behavior.

Best Answer

And just to be clear, this is a question I asked. I reserve the right to respond to anyone who attacks me here or comments on it strictly to be rude and aggressive. If she doesn't like that, she shouldn't continue to make comments. I could set about deleting all of her feedback but I have no desire to silence her.. and I will not be silenced *by* her. :)

Best Answer

To each his own. (Or hers as the case may be. :)

Best Answer

it appears that you are the one trying to control with your intolerance towards Christians. You appear to espouse the very characteristic you seem to despise in Christians.

Best Answer

"You will know them by their fruits." I saw a lot of accusing on one end (discern who...), and those who are enlightened, know who THE Accuser is. I appreciated your responses, Intelligently. Very inspiring.

Best Answer

Well, I wouldn't leave any witnesses alive, that's for sure.

Best Answer

;)

Best Answer

we can't just witness to people we are comfortable with.we are suppossed to tell everyone about the word of god.

Best Answer

That's my understanding (and my personal feeling) on the matter as well, nikki. Thanks for answering. :)

Best Answer

The fact that Christian are to witness to people of other religions is established in the Great Commission in its several iterations<br />
John 20:21 So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” <br />
Mark 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; <br />
they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”<br />
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.<br />
Luke 24:46 Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise[a] from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. <br />
Acts 1:8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”<br />
I Corinthians 9:19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.<br />
II Corinthians 5:18 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, 19 that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. (NKJ)<br />
That passage I think should be seen as a key passage in the New Testament. In the Old Testament the nation of Israel was an agent of divine judgement. But the church has what I call the dispensation of mercy. Governmental authorities are indeed to be agents of vengeance. But the church is given the ministry of reconciliati

Best Answer

on. That is, to preach God's desire for reconciliation with man as we serve as ambassadors for Christ. That is what the Westboro nuts have completely upside down.
Colossians 4:5 Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. 6 Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person. (NAS)
I Peter 3:15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; 16 and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame. (NAS)

Best Answer

I would have to add that in view of the fact that nearly everyone in ancient times had a religion, when Jesus gave the Great Commission, He was tacitly commanding preaching the Gospel to people of other religions.

Best Answer

couldn't have said it any better then what you put...Thanks

Best Answer

Doesn't Matthew 10:14 (NLT) "If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town." address HOW to witness? I read it as Jesus is telling us that we are to witness by sharing our belief and why we believe as we do. Tell of what God has done in our lives. And lead by our example. But if those we witness to chose to not believe then we are to shake it off and move on. We aren't supposed to force it into their hearts.

Best Answer

Nor may you steal time from our lives with drivel. If I didn't invite you, you violate the commandments by stealing time from my life and trespass, too. No part of it is for the taking of a religious addict.

Best Answer

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15<br />
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18

Best Answer

Thanks much, churinga!

Best Answer

does the inquisition ring any bells? oO

Best Answer

Yes, but it doesn't have anything to do with this question. I'm not asking about what the Bible says "to do" to people of other religions. I'm asking if it addresses how (or if) a Christian should witness to a person of a differing religion.

Best Answer

yeah i know. just being a smart a$$. but you christains don't like competition.. thats for sure :)

Best Answer

I think anyone who doesn't like the existence of someone who doesn't believe as they do is a bigot. If the shoe fits the Christian (and it does very often) then so be it. But it obviously is no less fitting to non-Christians, as the answers I've gotten on this question alone have proven right well.

Best Answer

amen?... :)

Best Answer

Amen indeed! ;)

Best Answer

Being a good example of a Christian and spreading His love. I wish I knew more, I'd like to witness to people one day. I'm afraid a bunch of jerks will get on you for this, like Aldemone did. >.< Sorry about that. :/

Best Answer

Thanks for trying anyway! And no worries, I knew it was a snake when I picked it up. By intentionally mocking me for asking a question, they're just amusing themselves. It doesn't bother me at all as long as I get a few worthwhile answers. :)

Best Answer

Well good for you!! :)

Best Answer

Tell me truthfully who do you think wrote the Bible. Also where is your proof about who it was written by. Please I would really like to know and I am not trying to be mean or even disbelieving, but I am truly curious about your ba<x>se substance of faith.

Best Answer