It's good to take portions of the book and broaden the understanding by explaining the concept/material in other ways. If she's a new teacher, I believe that's why she isn't giving any other real examples since she might be new to the material.

Best Answer

Well to give background..she's supposedly been a nurse for 20+ years, thus has taken all these classes before. She has been at this particular college for about 3 years and is the Director over the entire program, thus knows exactly what each class should be teaching - hypothetically. She even "said" she has taught every class at some point in time & some classes she always teaches each term. Some reason I have other hypothesis for why she instructs this particular way... But I do agree that if she were new, then it's understandable. Point I was giving, is simply that she isn't new by any means.

Best Answer

Then she must be a **** teacher. You can understand all about a subject and yet still not know how to teach it to someone else.

Best Answer

How boring and unimaginative. And definitely not very motivating for the students. I hate lectures where you just sit and listen and there is no interaction. To learn something you have to discuss it in dialogue, ask questions, give your opinions and ideas, sometimes a bit of brainstorming or something but just to sit there and listen to "storytime" has no learning effect whatsoever. I teach my students with live examples, demonstrations, ask them questions, ask their opinions get them to explain or help the other students if they can. I use the stronger students to help the weaker ones. I get the students to give a talk about certain topics etc. They have a lot of speaking practice with each other in the class. So just reading a book is definitely a bad method. Why don't you just buy the book and read it yourself at home in comfort?

Best Answer

I do have a copy of the book and that is probably what I'll end up doing once it gets to the parts where I haven't learned in the past. I would even go as far as missing class all together, but I can't miss days with tests, unfortunately she likes giving those on a lot of the days we actually have class so I really can't miss much. But yes, I understand how the method you mentioned would be a lot more 'fun'.

Best Answer

Generally good to introduce theory with reference to a book then illustrate with anonimised real life examples. Uni lecturer class 101!!!

Best Answer

just do the courses and get your certificate. It doesn't matter if they're any good, not in the long view of things.

Best Answer

lazy method

Best Answer

this I can completely agree with!

Best Answer

An unimaginative and unengaging method... ergo, a bad one.

Best Answer

if you don't mind my asking, why is this your third college?

Best Answer