How can my views about musicians change? I just can't stand them. I think they are talented but lazy.
golden10 golden10 22-25, F 29 Answers Nov 10, 2012 in Music

Many of us have had day jobs while performing or giving music lessons part-time. As was said, it also takes a lot of work to become proficient enough to play an instrument, either as a soloist, or with others. Working musicians, even on a part time basis, are not lazy.

Best Answer

Have you ever been inspired or moved by a song. Each one of us have a natural body rhythm. The best musicians, tap into the rhythms of the most people.<br />
And we love you.

Best Answer

I love that thought!

Best Answer

Aww. So sweet

Best Answer

If they can make money while doing what they enjoy screw what you think of them.

Best Answer

I work what is by any means a respectable 9-5 job. I chose not to pursue a career in music because it was far more work than I was prepared to put into it. Professional musicians play all the time. Touring is unbelievably demanding on the body and soul - there's a reason so many fall into drugs and alcohol. The life of a professional musician is so demanding that it's difficult to cope.

Best Answer

Really?

Best Answer

I just edited my answer to give you more detail, but yes. It's not an easy life.

Best Answer

Hmmm ok....thats your subjective view. I get it...You must live on the East coast

Best Answer

Well all views are subjective. I can't give you stats on the number of hours a week musicians work. But I certainly have an easier life than the professional musicians, actors, and artists I've known. And I live in a small town in northern Canada ;)

Best Answer

Lets switch places!. How is the free healthcare? We pay $120-$150 for a consultation!

Best Answer

Nah, I'm happy here. I can hang with the moose. And the free healthcare is sweet. Drugs are cheaper too. Emergency room waiting times are appalling, but that's my idiot government's fault, not the healthcare system.

Best Answer

Lucky you anyways..I can't stand our President. What do Canadians think about him?

Best Answer

He's pretty popular, but mostly because the GOP is terrifying to many Canadians. Your Democrat party is about on par with our Conservative party politically, so the Tea Party folks come across as maniacs. I'm not an Obama fan personally for a bunch of reasons.

Best Answer

While I can agree that some musicians out there are completely overrated... do you honestly believe that spending hours sometimes weeks, writing, recording, re-recording, practicing, shuffling around from place to place getting your stuff out there. <br />
Sending songs to different producers, sitting in media interviews (if you get to that point)... negotiating with said producers and other middlemen so you don't get jacked out of a decent amount of compensation.... <br />
and then IF you're big enough and still have the heart for it doing all that over again for years NOT work?

Best Answer

Perhaps they do not understand the type of lifes everyone else has and secretly dislike you too..

Best Answer

What I do helps save lives. If they secretly dislike me they are evil.

Best Answer

They give money to places liket st jude and save lifes too, not all but some do so what makes them not as good as you?

Best Answer

You got me Mulder. Your right.

Best Answer

musicians save my life.

Best Answer

I spend at least 5 hours a day working on my technique till I get the exact rhythm that I was looking for, then I have to put notes to it. I play saxophone and I have scar tissue on the inside of my lip that gets re-opened almost every day. It's not easy coming up with original ideas because of how much stuff has already been done.

Best Answer

They are people, too...some people have a good work ethic, some don't....the ego-maniac type musicians get on my nerves "big time!"...I refuse to work w/them ...doesn't matter how talented they may be...In your statement, you make it sound pretty bleak for musicians, we are not all the same, not all are "bums"...not all are talented, either...some are in it for the "benefits"...like with all peeps, there is a large grey area.....ok?...lol...

Best Answer

Ok

Best Answer

Learn to play music :) Do you like writers? What about painters? Sculptors? Any artist?

Best Answer

Yeah, if I had time...but that would probably be the only eye opener for me. For me to be in their shoes.

Best Answer

I'm not a musician but... do you like music? That music doesn't just appear... it is hard work that the band creates with creativity. They work hard to bring you what you hear on the radio. Think about it.

Best Answer

Music is ok

Best Answer

Do you sing or hum a tune too a song you like?

Best Answer

I can sing....I just don't want or like to sing

Best Answer

Sometimes...what does that supposed to mean?

Best Answer

If you listen too a song... then the band or musician makes their point

Best Answer

Secretly their passion is not to work.

Best Answer

Lolz

Best Answer

Touring is tough as hell, and when you're barely scraping by on cash and rushing from location to location trying to entertain people every night it can really get you. Then, there's shady managers and club owners to deal with who might try to stiff you and sometimes things won't even happen as planned and you'll have wasted time and energy for nothing. It's a hard lifestyle unless you reach Metallica level fame and let's face it - that's almost impossible. Besides, being in a band is all about hard work.

Best Answer

same here- I'm not really musically inclined

Best Answer

You must know some Unsuccessful Musicians, when I Played I didn't have to work I made Plenty of Money Playing Music. :)

Best Answer

Well I live in Hollywood....I come across many successful and unsuccessful musicians. I still try to understand them

Best Answer

Music is the work and it isn't easy. A lot of people have the talent but it takes something more to refine it and become a polished musician who understands music theory and the intricacies of the musical world. Some can be lazy though, just like anybody in any profession though. Musicians usually practice a ton though and they have the added pressure of performing their work in front of large audiences of people judging them publicly instead of working quietly in a cubicle. There are pros and cons just like any job, so don't knock it til' you try it.

Best Answer

What if singing is their profession ?

Best Answer

I don't understand....another talented but lazy thing....I'm trying to change

Best Answer

Well I don't like opera singers because there very self centred and always saying - me me me meeeeee. Cheers and happy weekend!

Best Answer

If I can get by without doing the stuff I hate, I'll do just that. Make sense?

Best Answer

No

Best Answer