Sncats Sncats 26-30, F 12 Answers Apr 10, 2012

I think that other people tend to, not consciously, but unconsciously, mirror the body language of other people, especially if they are socially skilled. Someone smiles at you, you smile back. Someone frowns at you, you frown back. Someone speaks fast to you, you speak fast back to them(or vice versa). Someone yells at you, you start yelling. It's not so much that mania is contagious, I don't think it is, I think that if a really social person is around a manic person they can get in a similar state of responding. Like when someone is at a football game(not that I go to them), that ordinary person down the block could suddenly turn into a screaming idiot lol. Like how someone is not the same person at work as at home, they aren't the same person with every friend, sometimes. It's like how, excitement or laughter can be contagious. Not everyone is always excited, but they will act excited if enough people around them are excited. Keep in mind it is only ordinary or socially skilled people that tend to blend with people around them and be synchronized. Weirdos like me tend to not be synchronized, I may be in an entirely different world on a different page than people around me, and I a lot of times don't fit in. I think if you had a room with 6 manic people and one normal person, the normal person would start acting manic. If you put 1 manic person in a room with 6 normal people, the manic person will still probably act manic anyway.

Best Answer

wow! that's a great answer! very insightful!

Best Answer

You took the words out of my mouth, except you explained it better.

Best Answer

Your mom may be suffering from anxiety due to your manic episode. Probably she hasn't suddenly become manic, but anxiety can appear as a bit manic. I have acute anxiety, quite frequently, and people are always telling me to "settle". As if I can!?!?!

Best Answer

could be

Best Answer

If you are experiencing mania, help yourself by stopping all sugar, caffeine, and baked goods in your diet. Stay away from starchy foods. It will help....marginally.I just read an article about nutrition and it's effects.

Best Answer

good advice. I have been drinking so much coffee b/c of low physical energy. bad I know!

Best Answer

no maybe because your driving her batty.

Best Answer

Its not contagious, its genetic, My nephew has it, because fragil x syndrome. his mom is a fragil x carrier.

Best Answer

I beleive that if you are someone enough that has bipolar disorder or is a manic you can very well pick up some. Of those traits

Best Answer

Actually, in a way it is 'contagious'. there is a word for it in psychiatry (Psychiatry is a hobby of mine) but i can't find it at the moment. Its contagious not in a way that she becomes bipolar, but your mania affects her and she becomes unsettled etc.

Your mania and depression are 'contagious' in a way to those who interact with you a lot. Its not your fault and they don't go through exactly what you go through, its more about being unsettled and bit anxious etc.

There is a person with bipolar whom I used to talk A LOT every single day for a year or so, and few months after we met I noticed it started affecting me. I would be sad when he's depressed or anxious when he's anxious or manic etc. I was sad and anxious partially because I felt helpless not being able to help and worried. But I had talked to few psychiatrists I know and read up on it and they told me there is this effect.

Best Answer

If you are an empath, you will be affected by other people's energy. You will feel their emotions. Some people are so able to feel for others, that it can be disabling. If this is this the case for you, you have to learn to block it.

Best Answer

it has nothing to do with being an empath. i still can't find the name of this syndrome or whatever it is, but its real and people do get affected

Best Answer

its funny that you should ask that. recently i was meeting with some people with Alzheimer's and i could have believed it was contagious, just temporarily.

Best Answer