summerb summerb 41-45, F 83 Answers Aug 23, 2009

It depends how you use it. Occasional use may be beneficial, helping you to get your thoughts straight, to make them 'click' in your head. It can aid introspection, it can make you feel good. Sometimes.

Prolonged daily overuse of (particularly the stronger types which are not 'balanced' in terms of having enough secondary cannabinoids, like the anti-psychotic CBD (cannabidiol) in ratio to the THC) cannabis may cause paranoia and may exacerbate depression/ self loathing tendencies.

Regular high doses of THC, and being a 'pothead' is detrimental to the mental stability of people, but especially if they are under 21.

Best Answer

i am 16 and i consider myself a "pothead" im depressed and ive been thinking abt just swallowing a handful of loratabs ive had a recent death in my family and i havent been ablt to see some family members i also struggle with everyday life living from paycheck to paycheck its just so hard this really helped me tho i just needed to no if mabey my drug use was making me worse ive always loved pot but i think i may need to cut back thank you.

Best Answer

Hi my names Krin, I'm 29and I was also "pot head" young, I have tool to fight them "demons" of yours. I would be happy to help you out. I mentor others and I'm sensitive I find out. I love Robert Monroe. He has interviews on youtube. And binural beats. Praying for you, I will even offer my number for mentor. Lots of love, hope your feeling better!

Best Answer

How often u do this mentor?

Best Answer

Whoever says take anti depressants is talking out their are my dad got addicted on them am 16 I smoke everyday it don't keep everything out ur mind but it sure as hell keeps me happy but only do it if u haven't got an addictive personality and can see yourself doing this on weekends anti depressants are alot worse I've seen both sides and I could even be bipolar or.manic depressive thru genes

Best Answer

*talking out their bottom

Best Answer

Just like alcohol - depends on the person ingesting it. It helps me; i sleep better, eat well and don't have bad dreams when ive smoked a little. Other people might have a negative reaction, just like some drinkers do - only they'll be less likely to commit violent acts than a drunk.

Perhaps the question you SHOULD ask is 'What impacts society in a negative way more? Cannabis or Alcohol?' Know which i'd choose - it wasn't weed that put my hubby in the nuthouse for a month; it was the nice taxable, supposedly harmless drug named vodka.

all this new 'reefer-madness' is propaganda and i'd put money on the alcohol industry funding such misinformation - canabbis use is on the increase and alcohol consumption declining as a result - all those generations of people who'd go and have their first pint at 18 and carry on till the day they die...this is how it was for so long. But now, there's an alternative and it scares them - how will they make money now? By demonising and vilifying their main rival, of course! The 'sheeple' are becoming less and less & the people who ask 'why?' more and more - this will not do, so they bandie about all these fabrications and the sheeple blindly follow. Ask a pharmacist what they think is more harmful - alcohol, or weed and the answer's almost always the same - alcohol, hands down.

Best Answer

you completely changed the question from one about the effects of cannabis on pre-existing depression, to comparing what's worse, alcohol or weed.
perhaps the question you SHOULD ask is what impacts society in a negative way more? drugs (legal or not) or sobriety? know which one I'd choose - it wasn't sobriety that caused me to go searching online about the possibly ill effects that drugs are having on my sisters depression. and it's not my past sobriety that's causing me to spend the time to write this response to you, a stranger.
you just remind me of how I use to think, everything comes down to 'don't judge me' 'its just a plant' 'alcohol is so much worse for you but that's legal'. those arguements are all fine and dandy if you're placed in a situation where you must choose the lesser of two evils. though most people have a 3rd option they often forget about, to not use drugs at all. when placed in this perspective, even caffeine seems 'far worse in comparison'.

Best Answer

I have the same stance on this that I have on pretty much any drug, which is plain and simple:

Any experience that any person has will NEVER correlate exactly with another person's experience. Period.

This is why some people choose to smoke pot and some people choose not to. If it makes your depression worse, do not smoke it. If it helps your depression, burn it down.

Why is this viewed any differently than a prescription drug? It shouldn't be! A perfect example is MYSELF. If a doctor prescribes Prozac for what he thinks is major depression, it will skyrocket me into a psychotic manic state almost immediately. Prozac works for some folks and fails for others because we all have different brain chemistry. Is this any different than marijuana? NO.

Marijuana is merely a combination of chemicals that stimulates the already present THC receptors in our own brains.... much like Prozac, which does a similar thing for serotonin.

SOOOOOO my point is that it just depends and it is impossible to make broad sweeping statements about marijuana in regards to it's helpfulness in treating depression.

The end.

Best Answer

Marijuana helps mine, but only for a short period of time. I smoke for other reasons too- increased appetite, it helps with my anxiety, helps me sleep, calms down, put things into perspective, etc. In my opinion marijuana is a miracle plant, and I will smoke until I die :)

Best Answer

im confused i love marijuana too im just not sure if its helping me anymore i feel likea burnt out mess i feel like eveerything wuld be easier if i culd just sleep forever

Best Answer

What you are missing could be like where I am right now. Balance. The signs are there, quit smoking, just for awhile, keep a little so you know you can smoke when ever you WANT replacing the need. I started smoking in earnest @ 17, I quit on my 25th Bday as I was concerned about my life's direction. I didn't smoke again until I was 32, just a little, every now and then, it was good.It was used for enjoyment But as all obsessions, or compulsive habits go, I was back to smoking every day (small amounts through out the day) within a year. I don't remember how long I smoked for, it was off and on again over the years, my last stint being 9 months in 2012 (I'm now 54). In the past months I have lost my way, I have lost so much.... .not because of pot, but because of me. I couldn't see until right now what I have to do. Quit again, see what gets better, I would promise you this, as it always has in the past, thing will get better, you just need to reestablish your equilibrium, and down the road, when you start smoking again, mind what you have learned here to recognize the direction you will have to take to feel better about yourself and about life. Good luck, and thank you for this realization. Namaste

Best Answer

It's easy to blame marijuana for depression. Your decisions and the choices you make with your everyday life affect your moods. Marijuana can do both. but if a person just sits there and mopes about whatever all day then anything can make depression worse if you think about it.

There are plenty of documentaries that indicate there is no scientific findings that marijuana can cause harm to the human body.

GRASS - THE HISTORY OF MARIJUANA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNAVURZPQcU

Best Answer

It isn't cut and dry like that. You don't see it happening. Pot as I am learning now after smoking it for 30+ years, has a negitive side effect on long term heavy use smokers. I am learning by doing . . . . major depression, is a reality, for me. As for you or any one else? It will depend on that person their DNA and lifestyle / culture. Pot is good for all the right reasons, but as with everything in life, with the good comes some bad. the trick is to recognize it and have the presence of mind to do something about it if or when it bares its ugly side. Thanks for the video link. More people need to learn that pot smokers are not criminals and it should be freed

Best Answer

LoL I was extremely depressed my whole life, I was able to get a hold of my self destructive thoughts after starting to smoke some here and there. It saved me from suicide. When I couldnt handle the emotions it toned it down, gave me hope that I could actually figure this out. After that I started meditation and spiritual studies that I found interesting. I think the combination saved me and showed me a reality I was missing all along.

Best Answer

This is almost exactly what I have done! Adding spirituality and meditation with cannabis can be a life changing thing! =]

Best Answer

It helped me get over my depression through insight and making me more reflective. I got many 'clicks' in my head while on weed. That helped me, but I don't know if that would be the case with anyone else.

Best Answer

It's not an antidepressant dummies. It is a drug if you don't control it, it will run you into the ground.

Best Answer

You are a mean mean fuktard. >:-/ you hurt my feelings cuz you are so damn important.

Best Answer

i think im in the ground

Best Answer

marijuana is a depressant itself... i can't see where it would help at all...

Best Answer

It's actualy the contrary. Alcohol is a depressant. And marijuana is a non-harmful, recreational aswell as medicinal drug.

Best Answer

The tar from marijuana is more harmful than tobacco, so it is not true it is harmless.

Best Answer

Get around the tar intake by vaporizing.

Best Answer

yeah i thought it was a downer!! right!!! tht prob why i feel hopless wont stop smoking i guess il just tone it down this site has been helpful thnx to every one whose putting thier opinion out thier it culd save someones life...happy holidays may u all and your loved ones be safe

Best Answer

Definitely does not help. It may make you feel better for an hour or two, but over all I would say it either has no effect or a negative effect.

Best Answer

for clinical depression it's a bad idea - for the occasional blues or anxiety it can provide a much needed attitude adjustment for some folks.......it's no answer to anything, and if you have to wonder, or depend on it, it's probably a bad idea.....

Best Answer

I have clinical depression and it definitely helps when used in conjunction with my SSRI's. I think it just depends on the amount and the person.

Best Answer

I love how all of the uneducated comments without any facts to back them up are from the people who oppose it.

Best Answer

ikr

Best Answer

I have major depression and have tried to commit suicide multiple times. It's a chemical imbalance, not just some, "Oh, I'm feeling upset today because I'm thinking about how bad my life is." I am constantly depressed for no good reason (besides the chemical imbalance). Marijuana not only helps me in the short term, but I have seen long term improvement as well. I also take SSRI's, but they just make me desensitized to emotions and can set off episodes of suicidal thoughts. Cannabis use allows me to be happy and see a side of life that makes me want to live. I definitely agree that you should not turn to marijuana as a permanent solution, because you just end up associating being happy with getting high and when you run out of weed, guess whats gonna happen. For whoever said that marijuana is a depressant and therefore must make depression worse...Well, they prescribe stimulants to help with hyperactivity and ADHD. Marijuana has also never caused any sort of health or lung issues in me, in fact my lung function has improved.

Best Answer

Interesting to see your lung situation has improved! I can't say the same, I would have to say my lungs are the same or slightly worse. But then again I have always had lung issues since a baby so I have no idea how I would be at this point. I am glad to hear you also use cannabis as a spiritual aid. I have tried meditation while on it but I find trying to control thoughts while high feels unnatural and awkward. Mostly I have treated weed as a good friend who keeps me thinking deeply about strong moral issues like politics and psychology. Then when sober I meditate on thoughts that arise. Doing this for about 6 years has really rounded my view of the world and the people who walk it. I have found dissapointment in my fellow man and with the herb come to terms with many things I wouldn't have been able to face head on... its as if weed is a staircase to a new way of thinking, a gradual teacher that shows us reality one small step at a time... truly it is godsend stuff... if man made a plant nobody loved illegal it would have been wiped from existence, the fact that it still thrives shows how much humanity really needs it.. weather brainwashed people believe it to be evil or not.... for humanity to figure this mess out we need this great teacher...

Best Answer

so thts why im worse wen the weed runs out ive been reading these comments one by one and each one has made me think...but this one hit the nail on the head...

Best Answer

Cuases paranoia and makes depression worse

Best Answer

here's my Take. I suffer from anxiety and depression I have gone sober on and off to test how i handle reality while off i wait 28 days after last use before beginning observations. It was the opposite of what i had expected to occur. I am a large muscle bound construction worker who has lived on all sides of the tracks. When i am sober i will cry about a commercial that makes me sad angry or happy? I will rant and rave and have extreme fits of aggression, I am unable to work at my job which is as a day trader because i am filled with fear. I cannot sleep and pace around my house like a caged tiger. However when I smoke a minimal amount of pot daily (like 1g a day maximum) I am stable emotionally (no commercial crying ), I make large profits consistently at my occupation and can sleep easily and stay asleep. I have also added a prescribed benzydamine Oxazepam which has helped as well however is not as benifical when marijuana is not used along with it; It makes my angry without the pot.this is not and advertisement for legalization, I am not advocating for anything i am simply describing what has worked for me and honestly with out this medication i most likely would have dis-owned my humanity and stepped back into the light long ago.

Best Answer

I agree. Adding cannabis to my SSRI's gives me much better results than just SSRI's alone. It seems like Marijuana by itself in low doses is good for acute symptoms of depression and other medications can help with the long term side of things.

Best Answer

I have depression, and It always helps me cope for sure. I guess it actually is different for everyone. I personally love the stuff.

Best Answer

Yeah, same here. Marijuana is amazing stuff.

Best Answer

I have found that it depends on the dose whether or not it can help with your depression or not. I have found that in low to medium does it can be a great tool for combating those depressive episodes simply to relax and immerse yourself in something for a day. If you abuse it however you are more likely of developing depression or worsening symptoms.

I had bad reactions to anti depressants like prozac and effexor that **** is crazy i cannot believe it is available for mass consumption... and mary jane really does work great if you use it right! A good acid trip can also help with depression, but be careful a bad one could make it worse!

Best Answer

It hurts you, period!

Best Answer

Can't be answered in general. Can help with multiple sklerose and the depressions associated with it. Marijuana can help you to kill the pain for some moments, even feel some euphory for a moment but won't cure anything by itself. Also there is always the risk that it won't help but make things worse!!! And makes addictive! Then it's worse! Same with any kind of drug or medicine (the old greeks just had one word for both). Freud even gave cocaine to patience, and sometimes it helped, but he did regret it later and got seriously addicted himself. It's always best if you can do things by your own. And it's almost always a bad intention to take drugs because you feel bad :)

Best Answer

For me, it helped. I might even say it saved my life. I suffer from chronic depression and anxiety disorder, and before I took up weed I was overweight (because, long story short, coming off a heroin addiction lead to an addiction to the endorphins in chocolate) but when I started smoking weed I lost +75 lbs (this is in addition to exercise and a good diet.)

I've been on antidepressants and anti anxiety drugs since I can remember. I'm currently on SSRIs and SNRIs, even drugs not originally meant for depression that only get prescribed if conventional means don't help. But despite that, I would have regular bouts of severe depression, and was still needing to take 2 mg of Klonopin a day (that's a lot- and it's powerful stuff.) Since I started smoking weed again I've cut down on the klonopin to .5 mgs without even noticing.

So in my case, it definitely helps, more than anything I've ever tried. I only wish the positive effects would be more widely recognized, so it'd be possible to get a prescription.

Oh- and I was a straight A student in college before I started smoking, and it didn't change that. I got a perfect score on my JRN final and I'd been smoking that morning. I also constantly do art projects and write all the time, I set goals for myself and achieve them, I wouldn't say that weed has made me any less ambitious or driven, and it's made my social anxiety simply melt away.

I'm not saying it affects everyone like this, but for me there's no question that it helps.

Best Answer