A guy I am dating is bipolar. As I've spent more time with him I am starting to better understand his moods and though it has been difficult I am trying my best to understand him and be there for him. We were supposed to have plans to go to New York together this weekend when he suddenly felt very overwhelmed and anxious and said that he wanted to take separate modes of transportation. He told me that he was feeling aggravated and that it wasn't my fault and that his mind was treating me as hostile. He said he felt overwhelmingly anxious and didn't know if I was the cause of it but he wanted to find out. I feel awful because I feel like maybe I asked too many questions, or overwhelmed him in trying to make plans. I asked him if he wanted to go separate ways or not talk to me anymore and he said he doesn't make decisions when he's in pain. I don't want to make things worse for him, yet I need to feel secure too. Anyone have experience with this and have any advice on how to proceed?
gravity1 gravity1 22-25, F 2 Answers Jul 9 in Community

Do you really want these ups and downs in your life? Is he taking medication for this problems? If he's not being treated for them .. he's making his own problems. If you're looking to find someone who will be there for you when you need him .. you're going to be disappointed. Until he deals with his illness, you can't help him.

Best Answer

He is taking medication, but his psychiatrist recently told him it needs to be adjusted.

Best Answer

its hard to understand because there are so many variations that differ from individual to individual.

Best Answer