Some details: Walgreens will cut their cash draw from the debit with a transaction from a $40 limit to $20. Restaurants, Liquor stores, Small business owners are starting to offer discounts for cash (only 30 to 50 cents) versus Debit Card or Credit Card. In a world which has been trying to squeeze us into a cashless society for ages, isn't this a backward step on their part? The big banks and others have charged interchange fees to the tune of $62.75 B-illion last year, per Wall Street Journal article 21 June. As a part of the Obama administration's Dodd-Frank financial overhaul law, passed last year, and taking effect in July, these fees will drop roughly 75 % as a result of new regulations. The banks want to make up their "terrible losses", poor babies, and the merchants are in a position to reap a gain by charging more to the user of plastic or debit than cash, and setting the price for that difference before the changes go into effect. A year after the signing of the bill
OrionsSword OrionsSword 56-60, M 7 Answers Jun 23, 2011

My area has a high crime rate. There was a shooting just down the block today. My wife and I use debit almost all the time as cash is a liability. Our car was even robbed just last week. Its a junker. We do this as a measure of security. So, my guess is around 90% of our purchases are debit. In fact, i don't remember the last time i paid cash.

Best Answer

thanks, this is certainly showing up as quite common. now we are being strained to use credit cards again, with added constraints and fees on debit cards being threatened by the big banks

Best Answer

About 7 or 8 yr's ago I got rid of all my credit and debit cards along with my cell phones. To be honest, I don't miss any of them! It did take a little adjustment period, but now, you would have to pay me to have any one of them. Good ridence!

Best Answer

good for you! i was surprised once years ago when i went to pay for a plane fare at a travel agency and was told they didn't take cash, and if i didn't have plastic, then tough...
wow

Best Answer

80%

Best Answer

In Canada that is what we call our bank cards. I couldn't live without my Debit card.

Best Answer

here it IS the obvious answer to a cashless society, something pushed by the banks for years. now they whine because they aren't making the millions they want from fees, and the idea suddenly is needing restriction??
Bankers=greedy whiners ..... .. works for me.

Best Answer

you no that is a good one but iam sure if you ask around some body will tell you that may god bless you ?

Best Answer

no god worth his salt would care, actually.

Best Answer

Merchants are charged a large % every time a customer uses a credit card.<br />
In this economy no one is winning....<br />
we live to pay taxes.<br />
:(

Best Answer

yes, they are, and it is a percentage of the bill, in the case of credit cards. it is a flat rate, which varies from bank to bank, when it is a debit card, the legislation irks the big banks because it will cost them 75 percent of the average 44 cents per debit card transaction which adds to the $62 billion i referred to. so... how much of your buying is through debit? just trying to get an idea what people do. I have been around 90 percent debit fo years, with the house payment being the one significant exception.

Best Answer

Yes, I use DEBIT for almost all my purchases.

Best Answer