My Doctor told me he has been instructed to take ALL his patients off Fiorynal w codiene. He said ALL DRs will be in process of doing this soon- They will be told to take high doses of ibuprofen instead! 800 mg 2 x per day (which anyone who gets bad migraines knows DOESN'T work or even make a dent in the pain) He said this is the new protocol for doctors who treat migraines! Anyone else get this devestating news? It means I will be bedridden for2- 3 weeks out of the month- that's how severe mine get.
Frazzill Frazzill 46-50, F 9 Answers Aug 13, 2012 in Women's Health

just did a search while i did not find that for headackes i did find a referance to doing it iwth fibermgalia

Best Answer

that's why they are stopping use of it- cuz it's not a "listed" treatment- although it's one of the only ones that works- & Drs have been prescribing it for migraines for over 30 years!

Best Answer

Talk to another doctor

Best Answer

Nope- he said ALL DRs have been told to get all their patients off this type of med

Best Answer

HE says--make sure.

Best Answer

well, I'm definately NOT going back to him- i don't need to see a DR to get ibuprophen (advil) I'm just going to go to the ER every time- if enough people do that then maybe they'll get the message that the new course of treating migraines by non narcotic meds is BOGUS

Best Answer

I'd still double check with a different doctor. Couldn't hurt, at the worst you'd still just be in the same situation.

Best Answer

Interesting...where did you hear this from?

Best Answer

My Dr just told me today- read my added explanation. He said "science" has determined they don't work, cause more headaches & that therefore all Drs are to give another kind of treatment-non narcotic- like amyltriptaline prescription or iburophen/naproxen which are over the counter meds that don't even work for me if I get a bad REGULAR headache.

Best Answer

I recommend Chamomile tea then.

Best Answer

I drink that daily for my glaucoma- it doesn't make a dent in my migraines

Best Answer

May as well put a bullet in me now.

Best Answer

yeah, me too- I told him oh well, that means I'm going to have to go to the emergency room for all my migraines now cuz they are THAT bad. I have to lay in bed for DAYS/WEEKS without my med. He was adamant that he's being forced, & it's ALL patients- not just me.

Best Answer

My pain management Dr, still gives me the good stuff.

Best Answer

Well NOW I got a headache

Best Answer

LOL

Best Answer

I don't think that's true

Best Answer

so, you're calling me a liar? I just freaking came from my DOCTORs office.

Best Answer

I'm not saying you're lying...I just wouldn't believe your doctor is being completely honest without some other source for that info...Besides....all that other info wasn't part of the initial question. Don't be so defensive. Not everything is an attack.

Best Answer

ok, sorry, I'm just in tears right now- It means I'm going to have to be in level 9 pain for weeks at a time- tha's how long my migraines last. I'm bedridden in horrible pain that feels like I'm dying the whole time-w/out my med

Best Answer

WHAT???!!! WTF are we supposed to do now?!

Best Answer

I tried to talk him out of it for 45 min- he says science has shown ibuprophen 800 mg once or twice a day will get rid of it- I have an ULCER- which means I CAN"T take that high a dose & that didn't seem to matter to him- he just admitted that he's been TOLD that he's been told to get all his patients off narcotic pain meds- & put them on amyltriptaline daily with ibuprophen at max dosage for each bad migraine! I told him that's the first thing I try and it never works- It's not him, this is a DR who swore by these meds- it's the gov, yet again messing w ppls treatmnets.

Best Answer

oh man- I just started getting THOSE- did you get checked to make sure u don't have glaucoma? mine ended up being from high eye pressure due to sky high glaucoma.

Best Answer