ChipmunkErnie ChipmunkErnie 61-65, M 18 Answers Sep 9, 2012 in Hobbies

Come in Ernie, you are about my age...Play dates! Gimme a break! We made our own fun and we were thankful for it, I tell you, thankful dagnabit!

We also learned how to do things on our own....

Best Answer

LOL And did you build a fort and defend it with "dirt bombs"? And remember walking to school and home again and it was uphill both ways?

Best Answer

Uphill and 10 miles each way! We used to play "Army" in "Big Boy Territory" which was actually a swamp area! "Buck-up" football, basketball, and baseball games. Heck, I was a "Latch Key" kid!

Best Answer

LOL Forts! We had so many different ones. And we called the battles dirt clod fights, Froze our ***** off walking to school in the winter.

Best Answer

When I moved to the neighborhood when I was 6, there was a "gang" there (not a bad type gang) and the leader asked me what rank I wanted. I was so into Rin Tin Tin and taken by Lt Rip Masters, that I chose the rank of Lieutenant...Ah, yes!

Best Answer

What was the actor's name? James Brown? I had a 45rpm single of him singing "The White Buffalo" that listed him in parenthesis as "Lt. Rip Masters".

Best Answer

HaHaHa - Yes, that was it "James Brown" Good one! You think a kid would have any idea of what a 45rpm single is these days?

Best Answer

Only if they watch old TV re-runs or see it on Youtube by accident

Best Answer

A great one that I have watched recently is "Have Gun, Will Travel"! Paladin WAS James Bond, years before the was a James Bond! Great portrayal by Richard Boone. "Hec Ramsay" was so opposite Paladin that he was doomed to fail!

Best Answer

Street. Most kids in those days got kicked out of the house until dinner time.

Best Answer

Mom opened the back door and shoved us out. We weren't expected back until dinnertime. All the families in the neighborhood did that because kids need "plenty of fresh air and sunshine." The Moms were at home, and everybody knew whose kid you were.

Best Answer

We played stoop ball until we were old enough to play stick ball & football in the streets. There were no such things as "play dates" in those days....we just went out & played in the neighborhood.

Best Answer

When I was in Massachusetts, the neighborhood. When I was on my grandfather's farm, I played in the dirt driveway or out near the barn, or almost anywhere in the three yards. There were three houses in the farmyard.

Best Answer

Played in the neighborhood. Same with my daughters.

Best Answer

Neighborhood. But those were different times when pervs would get run off by the mothers with frying pans.

Best Answer

That's because inflation hadn't robbed families of the ability to live on one income.The mothers were home.

Best Answer

Yes,It was fun and i had many friends....

Best Answer

stayed out in the neighborhood...

Best Answer

Well.. As a kid I always mercilessly killed everyone my age so my parent and I had to constantly move to other towns, so I was unable to have a play date, or go out and play in the neighborhood.

Best Answer

run wild..

Best Answer

Hm, neither. By the time I was growing up, I was into video games and stayed inside mostly. Around fourth or fifth grade I ended up hanging out with my best friend I met through school.

Best Answer

Go out and play in the neighborhood. I'm old school!

Best Answer