Breathing air below -15 C causes the thymus gland to swell and asphyxiate a person nearly instantaneously.
clesins clesins 26-30 4 Answers Jan 12 in Health

Sorry, that's not true. I live in temperatures well below -15C and I'm still alive. I go outside all the time in temperatures colder than that.

Best Answer

How long were you out in it for? how cold? and wearing protection for your airways doesn't make it count because it stops the cold from hitting your lungs as much.

Best Answer

Going out sledding, skating, cross country skiing, walking....sometimes for hours.....no breathing protection (what is that, anyway? A gas mask???) seriously, I would suggest the man in that article had a pre-existing condition of some kind. People are outside in temps much colder than that and survive with no I'll effects. We were out in -52C weather one night, a couple years ago, as we watched the garage burn down. Firefighters and EMS checked us all for smoke inhalation, but there were no worries about cold air inhalation.

Best Answer

Maybe if your exposed for a long time your body takes awhile too cool down

Best Answer

LOLOL. Sorry, Charlie, but many parts of the world are as cold as -15 C (5 F) quite often. Nobody dies instantly.

Best Answer

News article , ''Man Suffocates to Death in Cold York, Jan. 14 -- Swelling of the thymus gland in his throat due to the extreme cold Monday morning caused the death of George C. Young, a farmer of New Freedom, this county. He was suffocated when the swelling cut off his breathing. At 5 o'clock Monday morning the mercury stood at 2 degrees below zero in that locality. Young went to his barn to do his chores and, on feeling his breath being shut off, rushed back to the house, told his wife he was choking and died in a few minutes. Physicians said the cold cause the swelling. Last week a 17-year-old girl in Worcester, Massachusetts, choked to death when the thymus gland in her throat swell as a result of fright.''

Best Answer

News story. I've experienced temperature colder than that many times and I'm still alive.

Best Answer

Best Answer