ZeroDigits ZeroDigits 16-17, F 10 Answers Apr 17 in Community

And it's not "Me and my friend" it's "My friend and I" !! xD

Best Answer

Unless it's "she forwarded it to me and my friend"

Best Answer

Yup :) That's why I capitalized the M in both phrases.

Best Answer

That is not actually the case, it's an arbitrary rule based on being 'modest' and putting others before yourself. It's got really nothing to do with case (nominative etc...)

Best Answer

How would you both feel about: "We shall not join you; for me and my friend do not like cheese." "It's me and my friends who saw a platypus"

Best Answer

I researched it a bit. And you're right! It's apparently seen as a form of grammatical etiquette! I had no idea. The history of it is actually pretty interesting. xP

Best Answer

"We shall not join you; for me and my friend do not like cheese." That is INCORRECT usage. If you remove the "and my friend" part of the sentence, the structure breaks down and doesn't work.

It should be, We shall not join you, for my friend and I do not like cheese.

Best Answer

One Word Order! Hail!

Best Answer

Yes, I already knew that. I always say "If I were you".<br />
Slang talkers usually say it the other way.

Best Answer

I can not stand it when people use your instead of you`re or not knowing the difference between there, their and they`re....

Best Answer

It bugs me too, but them again I make do that sometimes. I think sometimes people know the difference but make careless mistakes anyway... I'm always writing "too" as "to"

Best Answer

That is minor. These people do it on purpose and don't care. I recently learned they teach "nonsense" words in school. Even our teachers today don't care.

Best Answer

Nothing new, nothing Nazi about rules! If we abandon the rules, we would have no language left so as to speak or write...for that matter. It was always - If I were you. I wish it would remain so!

Best Answer

Are you American? The two forms are correct, but some Americans think "If I was you" is incorrect, Wrong. It shows a lack of sophisticated understanding of grammar.

Best Answer

Actually no they're not. Both are acceptable in everyday language, but when you want to follow all grammar rules you must use the subjunctive tense. I suggest you brush up on your own understanding of grammar before insulting someone else's.

Best Answer

You haven't addressed my points yet - there are no uniform grammar rules that hold across all varieties of English, that's just not the case. If you want to try to make it like that it's not only completely arbitrary, but also you fail (read Pinker 1994 Language Instinct, epilogue on Orwell).

Best Answer

@ZeroDigits, Yes they are. I haven't insulted you, and by the way am a university lecturer and you are a high school child. So I suggest 1. You brush up on your knowledge and stop thinking you know it all and, 2. Address your psychological issue of projecting, which means your question attempts to insult the grammar of others, but yet you tell me I am insulting you. Oh and, 3. Broaden your thinking

Best Answer

@Seth, I'm not sure if this is to me or ZeroDigits. As a psychology lecturer though, you fail big time citing Pinker to me. We trash Pinker, who has been shown to be wrong on several points. As a Literature graduate I've read all of Orwell

Best Answer

Being a professor of psychology doesn't mean **** when it comes to grammar. Besides don't act like you didn't have do google it, 'cause your statement is suspiciously close to http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/en/grammar/if_i_were_you.htm.
I'm just going by what I learn in school. But hey if you'd rather trust one website meant for germans learning english than an English teacher be my guest.

Best Answer

What makes it incorrect, who gets to decide which grammatical constructions are valid? Especially when we know they change over time, and the forms that do make it are basically the forms of the people in power at the time?

Best Answer

Well, grammarians... As of now English still uses the subjunctive

Best Answer

I've got a PhD in cognitive science and I teach linguistics at university, so I guess I'm one of your grammarians. But when you say ''English'' that's where the problem is. Where can we locate English? in a Grammar book? If you look at language, it's like millions of individual systems which are slowly changing and evolving over time. In some ''English'' there is a subjunctive, like in mine. But in many varieties of English the subjunctive would be incorrect, because they never use it. Do see you what I mean?

Best Answer

I'm only talking about standard English. The kind they teach in schools. I'm well aware there other variations, like Ebonics and other dialects and such, however that is not what I'm talking about.

Best Answer

There is something to be said for correct grammar, girl. And it is not Nazi-related. I was "punished" with blackboards of grammar at a college level in grades 5 and 6. Do they even have blackboards now?

Best Answer

I know it's not actual nazism. That's just what you call people, "grammar nazis." They're the one that all like "you illiterate moron, it's 'than' not 'then'!"

Best Answer

Why is spelling and grammar not important to many of your generation? I know texting is popular. But why? We were raised that way-to have pride in our English skills.

Best Answer

One should have pride in any academic skill. Writing is particularly important, especially in this day of on-line everything. Writing is often the ONLY clue or indicator one has with respect to accuracy when attempting to comprehend the meaning and tone of non-aural communication.

Best Answer

Ok.....and ?

Best Answer

You just hate English...

Best Answer

Not really

Best Answer

I blame phones and internet shorthand.

Best Answer

I blame school curriculum and laziness in the current generations under age 30 ish.

Best Answer

If I was you, I would write If I were you. lol

Best Answer