I'm learning all about body language, and found out that when someone pats your back, while hugging, they want out of the hug.... It's true, I remember this with my husband, when things were going downhill, I would reciprocate a hug, that he initiated, and I would pat his back, while hugging.....It wasn't something I really wanted to be doing....
unicorn59 unicorn59 46-50, F 17 Answers Apr 29, 2009

That depends, sometimes I pat people's backs during a hug because they need comfort not because I want to get out of the hug. When you want out of the hug you loosen your arms. That usually signals that you are ready to let go. A lot of people pat you on the back while hugging because they feel uncomfortable and are unsure of the hug in the first place.

Best Answer

When my husband is hugging me...andI want out of the hug.....I give him a big wet Lick....Works every time

Best Answer

thats not necessarily true... i pat my boyfriend (he's the only person i hug really besides my lil sister) on the back when hugging if he's having a rough day & continue hugging him... ive never wanted to let go of him

Best Answer

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Maybe you should start a group for us and list little tidbits that you learn along the way. I know I would be interested.

Best Answer

I always pat (and caress) my wife's back while we hug.....I never really want to let go. To me its a sign of affection. I must be the odd one.

Best Answer

I thought of patting as a little mini massage. I don't really hug that much. :P

Best Answer

I like overman's thoughts LOL I think I'll try that!

Best Answer

Hmmm. I can see that. I will be sure to apply greater pressure and prolong the hug to the point of discomfort the next time someone does that to me. Maybe I can make them say "uncle".

Best Answer

Either you want out of the hug, or you're trying to burp the person.

Best Answer