Having a Siberian Husky, there's a lot of grooming that takes place, trying to keep Kodiak comfortable and the shedding off the furniture. Huskies 'blow' their coat twice a year, in the Spring and Fall, but make no mistake they shed all year long. After I brush him, I collect all the fur he's shed. I save an empty orange onion bag, the netting they sell onions in, and put the fur inside it. I clean out the dryer lint trap and put that in the onion netting. If you hang the net bag under roof eaves or in a tree, birds will use the fur and lint to line their nests with. They hang on the netting, as they pull the fur or lint through the openings in the bag.
rollingwithhusky rollingwithhusky 46-50, F 12 Answers Jul 7, 2010

It's a fabulous idea! Why didn't it work when I tried it? My German Shepherd shed so badly and I tried twice to give the bird's a hand but had no takers. Well, you've encouraged me to try again!

Best Answer

Don't give up. I'm glad you're going to try again.

Best Answer

We make throw pillows out of ours. Give it a try!

Best Answer

Cool, I've joked about stuffing a pillow with it, might have to try it. Thanks

Best Answer

Dog Hair is excellent Wild Animal Repellent. Human Hair is good Deer Repellent.

Dryer lint is mostly Cottonseed Lint and Sock Manufacturers will buy it, in large quantities.

Also, the Spiked balls of the Sweet Gum Tree are great for Wood Burning Pellet Stoves. I rake up over 15,000 lbs of them, each winter from my property, for heating my Barn. Lot's of things can be recycled.

Best Answer

This is great info. There are a lot of uses for 'every day' things that we would never think about. Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

So what do you do with the half kilo tootsie rolls, build a tree fort??

Best Answer

No. I do keep the yard cleaned up though. Leaving them lying around draws insects into the yard, as well as stray animals from the neighborhood. They also cause skin infections and such.

Best Answer

I knew there was an easy way I could become rich!!! I will sell my dog hair and lint on ebay as bird accessories!

;oD

Best Answer

That is really cool, thanks for letting us know!

Best Answer

Sure! I thought it was great when I first learned about it. Something like that is always a good thing to share.

Best Answer

thats a sweet idea, my dog makes enough for a shag rug birdhouse

Best Answer

oh, thats a good idea..:)

Best Answer