travelingthinker travelingthinker 26-30, M 6 Answers Nov 30, 2012 in Movies & TV

The people on TV don't talk with a "Midwestern" accent. I know, because I grew up near Chicago and now that I have moved to the western part of the country, I can hear the Midwestern accent. It's not what you hear on TV. Neither is the Eastern accent. What you hear on TV is a West accent: California, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, etc. It's a very straight accent....or kind of a non-accent. There is very little inflection...compared to the Midwestern accent which is very nasal and makes the word "dad" have 2 syllables...

Best Answer

Prolly not as much

Best Answer

The American accent is common to the world because of TV and movies. Everyone grows up with. I know asian kids who have American accents because they learnt it by watching cartoons when they were young. I have non idea how that works.

Best Answer

Most actors use a flat mid-western accent simply because it is more intelligible to a wider audience. It's a bit like asking if people prefer flat soda or computerized voices.

Best Answer

you mean like asking if they want a plain donuts or muffin? I don't know anyone who finds flat soda or computerized voices intelligible or palatable

Best Answer

Yeah, bland foods are a better example. The whole point is for the actor to use as little accent as possible and as few colloquialisms as possible to make themselves intelligible to a wider audience. Some have suggested part of the success of the English language has been the fact that with a few exceptions almost all English language speaking people can relatively easily make themselves understood to one another.

Best Answer

hold on... come to london for a week and maybe you will want to rephrase your statement LOL

Best Answer

I'm saying most people can make themselves understandable to one another if they try, not that it comes naturally to them.

Best Answer

I think they think americans don't know how to spell or talk correctly because "they" are very proper in "their" pronunciation etc. So I would think they would be more amused than impressed.

Best Answer

you think british people are so much better in the english language then americans? uv never been in britain i guess ;p

Best Answer