shimmerluv shimmerluv 13-15, F 2 Answers Jun 25 in Health

Here are the details: <br />
I'm 14 years old.. My mom has diabetes and same with my grandpa on my mom's side. His diabetes is TERRIBLE and I hate it, I hate seeing him so weak all the time.. I'm so scared that I will get diabetes too because of the genetics since it runs in the family. I don't know when my mom was diagnosed with diabetes, it was either during pregnancy with me or right after I was born. I'm scared because I'm a female and my mom most likely would pass it on to me because of that. I feel really scared all the time and I always control everything I eat.. Sometimes it's all I ever think about and my mom barely controls it, she eats like everything in huge quantities, and I never wanna end up like that. I was looking up signs and stuff for diabetes and I have absolutely none, EXCEPT my foot falls asleep sometimes throughout the day. It only lasts for like 2 minutes though and isn't very painful. That's all.. I don't really feel tired after eating sugar or carbs either. I'm so scared because maybe I have it and that symptom is just one, but still a sign that I have diabetes. It said that pins and needles on the feet for long periods of times with lots of pain is a sign, but my sign isn't exactly like that.. Also I'm 5'4 and weigh about 120 lbs, I exercise normally, and eat pretty healthy.. I am so careful about what I eat and I eat very little portions, most of the time the main carb foods I have in a day is:<br />
Some type of fruit <br />
1 8oz glass of milk (if it counts)<br />
2 chapattis <br />
Maybe a granola bar or wheat crackers<br />
Is that too much carbs? The rest of the day my meals consist of veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, salad leaves, onions, pea pods, etc. and then lean meats, fish, eggs, nuts, avocados, lentils, quinoa, barley, soups, etc. then citrus and other fruits, and sometimes cheese. I make sure I don't eat too many bananas, mangos, or high sugar fruits.. If I eat cookies or any processed sugar stuff like ice cream I always eat very little like 1 cookie or something but something or 10 chips.. But I won't lie, at least like every 2-3 weeks I'll end up splurging and eating a lot of sugary stuff because I deprive myself from carbs a lot.. So that may be one of my problems too that can develop diabetes and I play a lot of sports, never really feel fatigued like that, etc. I'm so scared and I think in the summer I have to get bloodwork because I'm going into high school so I think that will determine if I have it or not, I still want to lose like 10 pounds and stop my splurging and develop better eating habits. But please can somebody help and give me feedback about this?

Best Answer

…nice posting….see a qualified person for advice…many people on here will make fun of you….troll….

Best Answer

Are you talking type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Why don't you visit a doctor and get the best advice you can about how to avoid it? Or there are really good sites on diabetes, rather than here. I can tell you - healthy eating (which you are doing), a bit of regular exercise - it doesn't have to be extreme - and also keep moving during the day. Don't sit like a blob for hours every day. These are three really important things for your health in regards to diabetes.
One of the first signs is extreme thirst that won't quench. If you get that, go to a doctor.

Best Answer

Yes I do eat healthy, I exercise daily.. Usually I do like 30 min of yoga in the morning, 10 min of weights in the afternoon, 20 min of high intensity workouts like squats, high calorie burning moves, etc. and then finally a nice long walk after dinner.. Instead of doing one big workout, I space them out throughout the day and I do this routine everyday.. Yeah see I don't feel thirsty at all, in fact I could go all day without drinking water, and I barely go to the bathroom either.. But I make sure I drink a lot of water since it's good for your body anyway and when I do my pee comes out super light or almost white even

Best Answer

You don't have to drink when you aren't thirsty. But you sound like a really healthy young lady. And if you ever did get diabetes, you have the self discipline to live well. My mother-in-law is 90, has had diabetes, and is very healthy and active. My son is 20 and got diabetes at 14. He manages it really well and you wouldn't know he had it.

Best Answer

Thank you so much. I just really hope I don't have it and congrats to your mom and son!

Best Answer

The simple answer is to see your doctor and ask him. He can take a blood test and check something called an "A1C" level. It's the best way. You could monitor your own blood sugar levels. Your mom or someone in your family probably has a test kit laying around. Check your levels when you get up before you eat breakfast and again before lunch and again before supper. Keep track of your numbers. In my case, my doctor doesn't worry about it if they stay under 190, but thats for me. I'm a large male kind of guy. Safe levels would be different for you due to age, weight, activity level, and a whole lot of other variables. Again, the best way is to go to your doctor and ask him to test you.

Best Answer

The thing is I don't want to get tested because I'm so scared that I have it and so scared because I would feel embarrassed if he tests me and then sees that I have diabetes.. I'm just too scared so I think I'm gonna just do the first option

Best Answer

I am type one diabetic, 43 (almost) years of age, and I am fit, healthy, and could literally run rings around younger, non diabetics lol. I eat properly now, and I get regular exercise and I check my sugar levels daily. That's pretty much all you have to do to look after yourself! Same as anyone else really, apart from the sugar testing lol. Your grandpa CHOOSES to live that way, he chooses to not look after his health and it his own fault his diabetes is so messed up.
It is impossible to know from those details if you are diabetic or if you will become diabetic. You need to go to a qualified professional. To be honest I didn't read all of it, sorry hehe. But if you are diabetic now or in the future, that is not a death sentence, it is a reminder to look after yourself better

Best Answer

Congratulations to keeping a good lifestyle! Thanks for the advice and yeah I keep myself fit.. I'm just like really scared to go the doctor because I don't want to find out if I have diabetes.. I will feel terrible and so embarrassed about myself in front of my family. I just really hope I don't have it, but I always think I do because of genetics and that ONE symptom which I feel isn't even that big of one.. But yeah pretty much why I haven't been to a doctor and I haven't told my mom about it either, I'm just so scared.

Best Answer

why are you embarrassed?? And lol, trust me, NOT finding out is a whole lot worse than if you DO find out! I'm talking coma's, pain, long term health problems.
I'm not saying I have always sailed happily through being diabetic, god if I could choose, then of course I would choose to not have it, but its the hand I have been dealt, and it has taken me a long time to really accept it. I went through the whole ''if I ignore it I can be normal'' crap, but of course, that just made me ill and feel like rubbish!
There are a whole lot worse things in this world than diabetes, and it is totally controllable with a bit of effort and care.
Get to the doctor, get some education in these things, and accept that you might have to work a bit harder to look after yourself. Trust me, thats a WHOLE lot easier and better than the alternative!

Best Answer

and sorry, what one symptom do you mean?

Best Answer

Yeah that's true I still feel like I can still improve my overall health and body before I visit the doctor so that's what I want to do first and read it again for the "details" part.
It's in there I'm too lazy to type it again haha.

Best Answer

if you are diabetic, or pre diabetic, it won't make any difference getting a bit healthier first, it won't change anything at all, unless you are talking about type two diabetes!
And lol, I'm too lazy to read through it all, its ok.

Best Answer

Go to your doctor and he will tell you... <br />
Good luck young lady...

Best Answer