Yesterday my Cat gave birth to a kitten,Suddenly it disappeared I've no clue where the kitten is.
neeran neeran 26-30, M 35 Answers Mar 4, 2012

No, never...I have never heard of it happening, read about it happening, or seen it happen and I have read and learned almost all there can be known about cats. If the kitten dies it is reasonable that the poor thing would then be eaten because in nature waste is foolish and deadly....which is why mother cats also eat their after birth. Male cats, however will attack, kill, and may eat kittens to get female cats into heat, in order to pass along his own genes. Cats are not stupid or dumb by any stretch, btw....she may also have hidden the little one away somewhere, because they do that. They move their children from place to place several times to protect them from possible predators.

Best Answer

i have SEEN mother cats eat their own young. live healthy young, for no reason. and i wont call you dumb, as you did to me, (thats rude) but dont lie to make cats look less dumb than they are.

Best Answer

you are rude for calling cats dumb, but i don't trust what you see...and if they were your cats they may have just been insane. You obviously know nothing about cats, so I am not going to trust YOUR word. Humans are the most disgusting, ugly creatures on the planet and you insult cats? laughable.

Best Answer

Not even close to accurate. It is much less common for a Tom to kill kittens than a queen. Mother cats will kill their kittens for many reasons: if the mother cat senses that a kitten has some disease she will kill it to avoid wasting energy raising it, if the mother cat has expended too much energy and can't hunt she will kill a kitten to eat it, if the kittens are born late in the year and it will be hard to find prey she will kill the kittens for the same reason. Naturally after killing the kittens for whatever reason she will eat them for the energy. It's a cat eat cat world and they do what they have to to survive: they do not have morality or feelings or values or beliefs like human beings do, only instincts.

Other than the evolutionary reasons, some mother cats simply have a genetic disposition (disorder) that they do not produce or are not affected by the mothering hormones usually brought on by pregnancy and will kill their kittens because they do not develop mothering instincts. This is why it is recommended to breeders not to continue breeding with a mother who has killed her young in the past: not only will it happen again but the children that survive may be genetically disposed to infanticide.

Your characterization of Toms is completely inaccurate. It is much more commonly observed Toms adopting kittens who aren't even theirs, or taking care of orphaned kittens or from incompetent mothers. When Toms do kill kittens it is almost always a simple accident: they are not able to control hunting instincts that are triggered by small, quickly moving objects, and high pitched noises. They do not realize they are killing a kitten, they are just doing the hunting thing they were born to do. Cats do not have an instinct to kill kittens to put the mother in heat and pass on their own genes, you probably heard this myth from similar Lion behavior: Lion social structure is completely different from small cats (and indeed any other large cats).

As for your opinions on cats and human beings, they are irrelevant. We are speaking of scientific, observable facts, not opinions or what you may or may not have seen or read. I would recommend you be less influenced by your own emotions and opinions when it comes to matters of simply fact.

Best Answer

Exactly! I work with a HUGE cat rescue. Mother Cats/ Queens eat their young if they sense danger and can't move them as well. Thank you for putting an end to this notion that female cats do not kill their young. Also I have witnessed myself male cats adopting kittens and cleaning them, helping them, bringing them to food and water. So males are far more gentle than have been stated by some in this forum. Thank you for your wise and well educated information.

Best Answer

One other item I would like to add, is that many animals eat their young. Rabbits, Mice, Fox, Wolves, dogs... etc. We can get technical and talk about insects too. For heaven sakes... this is a natural thing that is done. Yes if a human did it they would go to jail. But take the human out of the equation and welcome to the world.

Best Answer

Only stillborn kittens, to my understanding. They don't eat live, healthy kittens.

Best Answer

Yes cause it might have been ill.

Best Answer

We always had a lot of kittens and cats and I never once saw the mother cat eat any of them

Best Answer

rarely but yes...immaturity in a young mother..or a sick kitten...but don;t be too hard on the cats..humans are much worse.

Best Answer

Bit disappointed but yeah cats are much better than human these days. LOL

Best Answer

they always have been better. A cat has never hung a human upside down and set him on fire.....though I wouldn't blame a cat if she did.

Best Answer

They might hide and eat healthy live kittens if the mother has territory issues.

Best Answer

cats are kind of dumb. nothing they do would surprise me.

Best Answer

hehe.. Same here

Best Answer

you're kind of dumb

Best Answer

ok,... ill just eat some babies. will that make me smarter?

Best Answer

I am human too so yes

Best Answer

no, just sick in the head

Best Answer

Yes, sometimes they do

Best Answer

Yes they do. It is believed that whenever a strange body or person touches a kitten in a way that makes the kitten carry its smell, the mother will eat it.

Best Answer

Yes, they do! There is a common thought the kitten has health issues, killing one and raising the other three! It is also common practice to eat the placenta, it is full of nutrition that can be beneficial, and strengthening. Some human mothers do the same!

Best Answer

I have never seen a mother cat eats her own baby. Maybe a big rat did it.

Best Answer

Yes. Yesterday my cat ate her kittens while I was away at a Dr. Appt. I came home to three piles of guts on my porch and no kittens. There were men weed eating and I guess that threatened her? It really mad me sad.

Best Answer

My mother cat was playing with her 6 week old kitten this afternoon and bit its neck and then dismembered the head from the body and started eating it....there was nothing wrong with the kitten... yesterday we noticed a kitten in the yard dead we assumed it was one of our dogs fault... nope... we are putting the mother to sleep tomorrow!

Best Answer

We just had a Momma eat one of her three week old kittens. All she left was a leg. Very disturbing.

Best Answer

I just woke and when went to bed had 7 kittens when I woke I only have 6 and the 7th is no where. But had a pile of blood and knew the mother cat ate the kitten she also killed 5th one by eating his back leg off. No why? I don't understand. Were they sick or something?

Best Answer

Yes they do in some cases. I've had cats and kittens through out my whole life and seen a handful eat a kitten or two. It's a horrible sight to see but Mother Nature I assume.

Best Answer

Just found 3 of my cats 4 kittens with there heads of they were 3weeks old and the over one had puncture wounds and died, I think it was because the dog was jumping all over them and we left them alone for a night, so heart broken they was so cute

Best Answer

yes they do eat their babies, my cat just did that but she was a young cat herself

Best Answer

my cat had her kittens three weeks ago they seemed to be healthy they where in a cage in my room so nothing could get to them. i woke up this morning and the kittens gone. so Yes. Mom cats will eat there kittens :*(

Best Answer

Boy, some people are dumber than cats.

A mother cat will sometimes eat sick or stillborn young. Better her, who needs the energy, than a predator who will arrive after smelling it, and have a whole buffet of kittens to kill.

And are you kidding, cats are nicer than humans? Have you ever seen one torture a dead or dying mouse or bird for hours? All just to not eat it. And what percentage of healthy cats do this compared to healthy people?

Cats are dumb. They are much dumber than humans. If you do not believe this to be true, you are dumber than a cat.

Some of these "animal lovers" are either 8 years old or have no sense of reality.

Best Answer