It must be earned. The only way for a person to learn how to respect others is to be respected themselves and the education starts at a very young age.

Best Answer

You must give respect to earn it.

Best Answer

I think respect of a parent should be automatic. But denied if they don't act as parents.<br />
Parents are responsible for the well being and nurturing of a child and this in it self deserves respect from that child. If those parents are derelict in their duties, then by all means respect for that parent should not be given.<br />
Duties of a parent/s should always contain, unconditional love, provide for the health and well being of that child, ensure the safety of that child. And above all realize that their child is a unique individual with a unique quality of being. To attempt to quench unique quality that are as individuals is wrong. Parent/s are here to teach and guide their children and others children in a healthy way so they will see that quality that is a parent and may guide their own children or respect others as they were respected.

Best Answer

It is my opinion that those who believe it should be earned are literally "putting the cart before the horse." in detail, a baby, child, adolescent preteen teen that has a parent should be respectful to the parent/s because it is a given that most parent/s have been providing for that child through those years of development which the child has no manner of or to judge. It's only if that parent has not fulfilled their roll as a parent that a child should not respect him/her/both. Thus the respect with is a given, is taken away.

Best Answer

Even though that's your opinion, I have to say that parents provide for their kids because by law, they have to. If DCFS wasn't going to take a child away if the parents didn't properly clothe and feed the child, then maybe parents wouldn't bother to provide for them..

Best Answer

So if I understand what you were saying. If there were no laws that a parent had to provide xyz for a child that parents would not provide for your child. That the only reason they do is because they are compelled to be the government? I think you might feel a bit different when you have your own child to care for. It's something that happens to you when you are all of a sudden a parent. It's called love. The laws are there only to protect the child should the parent fall short in being capable of love or to provide the basics.

Best Answer

This is why respect for your parents "is" priority. It's only when a parent falls short of providing for that child out of love and obligation (moral not legal) that the respect is lost. Lost from the child, and lost from the community.

Best Answer

Demanding respect usually does not work and only breeds fear and resentment. Respect has to be earned. Simple law of nature, not my law.

Best Answer

I think it has to be both. You can respect them as long as they are fulfilling their responsibilities to you. Respect is easily lost through neglect, etc.

Best Answer

Parents deserve respect when they are doing the right things for their children and taking care of them, not simply because they have the title. They have to be doing the job.

Best Answer

I personally have high standards when it comes to respecting my parents. Therefore, when parents abuse their children and go lunatic, I find it hard to imagine how they can be classified as even humans, let alone parents. But yes, I am a firm believer of the fact that they have to earn your respect. After all, they are the ones that brought you into this world; they are responsible for your life. If they do anything selfish, such as divorcing or killing themselves, that jeopardizes the lives they are responsible for, they don't deserve anyone's respect.

Best Answer

I used to think so, but not anymore. They pretty much act worse than children these days.

Best Answer

Yes,u have to even if they have inadvertently hurt u,they did their bestor they would have could have flushed u

Best Answer

I think that parents deserve automatic respect....but I also think that as children age they learn to define respect ba<x>sed on how their parents interact with them as well as each other. I always respected my parents though I did not always agree with the rules set out by them.<br />
I think that my husband confused the definition of respect for my children by the way the talked to me and interacted with them. Making demands does not enforce the whole idea of to get respect you have to give it. I always asked my kids to do things for me unless it was something that was expected of them as a rule. I never treated them as though they were put on this earth to serve me and answer to my every whim. So I guess it could technically be a little of both.

Best Answer

Automatic respect. You don't have to take everything that they say to heart and you don't have to be who they want you to be but being your flesh and blood they are your origin and you can't be you without knowing them. Yes. Treat them with respect. Always.

Best Answer

It must always be earned.

Best Answer

automatic for the first 18-21 years they know what's best for you more than you do, after that it should be earned. respect, not run your life.

Best Answer

my parent's abused me too. but i still give them respect, the don't deserve it either, but i was raised to respect my elders. one of life's lessons i could do without. :)

Best Answer

I think the reason parents deserve respect because they brought us into this world, we owe them our live. But that respect is not true respect, its like' owe them our life' respect.

True respect is respecting someone for their actions and characters that inspire us.

Best Answer