i'm asking this because people give me weird looks in public
JustChrisCarter JustChrisCarter 18-21, M 29 Answers Jun 10, 2012

They don't freak me out, but I do feel guilty. I know it's useless, illogical, and creates barriers that shouldn't exist, but a part of me feels guilty that I have full function of my legs and can walk, and people in wheelchairs cannot.

Best Answer

Don't feel guilty, many of us are proud of our wheelchairs because they're a part of who we are. Check out 3E love, they're a very mainstream disability pride group. walking is just another form of transportation. It's no better, and no worse.

Best Answer

I can handle regular wheelchairs. It's the idiots in the electric scooters who either don't quite have the hang of handling them yet or operate them like maniacs that p*** me off. No wonder they're crippled...

Best Answer

Wow, you sound like you've known me all my life.

Best Answer

I purposely avoid people in wheelchairs because I have lost count of how many times I been rammed by them. Sorry I don't have eyes in the back of my head, sorry the giant crowds of people prevent me from letting you by ..grrrr...

Best Answer

Las Vegas Casinos

Best Answer

Mayby it's in you're mind people give you weird looks, because you're self conscious about it

Best Answer

nope.

Best Answer

Not really. I've known several.

Best Answer

No, I have a few friends that use wheelchairs, and I've never seen them as anything but my friends, I've never looked down on them! People can't help having to use wheelchairs, and of course it doesn't freak me out!

Best Answer

yes once they were traveling at high speed id say 40 mph middle of the night across tower bridge they over took me

Best Answer

Never!!

Best Answer

Do they freak YOU out?

Best Answer

no i'm in a wheelchair

Best Answer

Yeah, kinda figured that ..& no, doeznt bother me at all ..

Best Answer

No, why would they??

Best Answer

Hi Christopher, I was all ready to give a piece of my mind to this question, when I saw it was you asking, lol. How are you today?

Best Answer

i'm not trying to make fun i just want to know how people feel about it sorry if i offended you and i am fine thanks.

Best Answer

No, no! it's ok, I thought the questioner was a non Disabled person, but then I realised it was you, and you and I are both wheelchair users. So no problem at all my friend, you keep asking away, sending my best regards.

Best Answer

No, not at all, and that isn't what I meant. A lot of people on here can be quite abusive about Disabled people, and when I first saw this question I thought it might be from one of the abusers, so I was ready to give them a piece of my mind. But it turned out to be my friend Christopher, and all is ok.

Best Answer

its not that they freak me out by anymeans its just that the wheel chairs today are all decked out and its kinda like when you see a cool car and you take a second look ya gotta admit chairs today are not what the used to be....I really try not to look twice believe me I know its rude and I want to say Im sorry for being rude but Im just taking it all in and wondering how fast it goes how often do you have to charge it what it cost what can you carry on it things like that

Best Answer

Yeah, I agree. When my son was little he had this fascination with wheelchairs, thought it was the coolest thing for a chair to be moving like that. I always had to explain his staring and pointing was innocent and not meant to be hurtful. He was just a little kid who loved those big wheels! =)

Best Answer

My brother was in a wheelchair all of his life I have more compassion than you realize ...

Best Answer

No, they don't freak me out. sometimes i feel sorry if they are having difficulty doing something.

Best Answer

I get the urge to push them down hills

Best Answer

hey whats so scary about a person like me?

Best Answer

i'm not trying to offend anybody

Best Answer

They stand out but they aren't scary. But put some machine guns on that and you have a really cool chair.

Best Answer