Maybe it is just an extension of the "do it for me" attitude that seems to plague society..Obviously some realistically do need medications for chemical imbalances and so forth, those aren't the people I am talking about.
SilenceEvermore SilenceEvermore 22-25 8 Answers Nov 21, 2012 in Hobbies

yes, it's definitely a false happiness

Best Answer

A century ago the average American drank a fifth of whiskey a day.

Best Answer

And Opium was legal. I guess your point is nothing has changed? So what do you propose? We be content with it? Accept it?

Best Answer

According the National Science Foundation one in five Americans still believes the sun revolves around the earth. That's not ignorance, but flat out denial fueled in part I suspect by an economic system that promotes grasping at straws. Think of a pack of half starved dogs constantly fighting and you might get the idea. Until the economic conditions change there just isn't much that can be done.

Best Answer

That's a very nice non-answer..

Best Answer

It's not a non-answer. It simply leaves the decision to the individual which, after all, is where it has always been. Prohibition failed for a reason and all the moralizing in the world can't make a sad person content.

Best Answer

"I guess your point is nothing has changed? So what do you propose? We be content with it? Accept it?" The only part pertaining to my questions was - "Until the economic conditions change there just isn't much that can be done." Ok, great. So basically we should accept it because all the blame rests upon the economy.

Best Answer

Wrong, the people control the economy and politics. If every American went on strike today the government and companies would all be begging on their hands and knees for people to tell them what they want. As it is our economic situation is already remarkably improved from just a hundred years and where it will be in another hundred years is anyone's guess.

Best Answer

While people have a hand in both, there are many, many factors that are out of their hands. I'm not sure how you're answering my question by claiming politics and the economy are the fault of the people..Assuming it is, does that mean it is the fault of voters that people become alcoholics, drug addicts and what not? If people control politics and the economy, and the economy leads to relying on drugs of whatever kind, then it follows it would be the fault of those who vote because those they vote in also have a large say in how the government runs, which in turn impacts the economy.

Best Answer

There was a woman from a Yanomamo-like tribe who visited NYC and reporters asked her what it was like to go from the stone age to the big apple. She said what struck her was the first time she looked out on a crowded street and saw thousands of lonely people. Despite growing up surrounded by the same 30 people without so much as a radio she had never experienced that kind of loneliness and never imagined people could feel it in a crowd. We have traded material positions, modern medicine, etc. for our happiness and it's a trade most people are still willing to make. Some day maybe we'll have our cake and eat it too, but today the best we can hope for is a workable compromise.

Best Answer

So we go back to the beginning..it seems you are claiming that we shouldn't be content with it, while claiming we should be content with it because "you reap what you sow."

Best Answer

I'm saying every culture adapts to the reality of the unnatural environments civilizations produce. What you as an individual choose to do is your own business as far as I'm concerned and what I choose to do is none of yours.

Best Answer

Ah, one of those.

Best Answer

Yes, I'm the proverbial "Them", not one of "YOU".

Best Answer

Yes. I take Zoloft, but that's for chemical imbalances in my brain. People just need to realize what they have and they should be somewhat happier instead of turning to illegal methods of temporary happiness.

Best Answer

lol, oh youu...if you're referring to "reefer" haha, that's completely natural babe ;) ...it just so happens that if you set fire to it, it can do some amazing things.

Best Answer

Wasn't referring specifically to marijuana, but that was part of it.

Best Answer

Elaborate on what you mean by artificial methods...?

Best Answer

It was intentionally vague but I was leaning towards some kind of drug or pill.

Best Answer

Yes, Give me vodka and **** to at least give me momentary hapiness.

Best Answer