Autistic are a little different. I don't have any direct experience with autistic children. I do know that my son of 12 is going through hormone surges-and yes-testosterone does not release into the body at a constant rate. It would be nice if it did. Then,us men, would have a bit more control over ourselves. <br />
Hormones do cause mood swings. Your best bet is to get a hold of the abhorrent behavior right when it happens. Don't let any unacceptable situation pass without reprimand. My son, at 12, is 5'10". I'm 6'3 240. He's gonna be bigger than me. And I was handful. My poor mother. When I was 15 or so my motto was "I can do whatever I want when I want"-and I did. I was one of those children who had to experience failure to learn. After correcting your child's behavior go to him and tell him that you are trying to help him with behavior that is unacceptable in our society. IF you can get him to work -little by little- on changing his reaction to situations that set him off- you might be able to get him to see that his actions are disrespectful. DO THIS! record/video him with your cell phone when he is in a rage. Most people can barely stand to hear their own voice-much less watch themselves rant and rave at those whom they love. Tell him you love him while he is watching himself, but this type of behavior is going to get him nowhere. My son hates it when I pull out the cell phone-he will actually stop just so he won't have to watch the video of himself. <<>>>

Best Answer

Thanks for your insight. I'm a consistent disciplinarian. Just hoping to figure out where the mood triggers are for boys. Autism makes it more complicated, and it can seem a bit more "crazy" in that it doesn't make much sense to an observer or someone who is trying to reason with him. I don't have a phone that will videotape, but that might help. Generally, he is a well behaved fellow, which is why the little episodes are a bit of a mystery for me to unravel.

Best Answer

I am 14 and i get angry often too at random times... try buying him a large punching bag, one of the 40 lb. bags. My parents got me one and it is AWESOME to have that for a couple reasons 1. If i get angry, i have something i can take my anger out on without hurting anyone, and 2. it is an AMAZING cardio workout, and it improves my speed and quickness... They may get a bit pricey, but it is worth it!!

Best Answer

my son is the same but i'm quite blessed cause he says im going for a bike ride cause i would hate to think what i might do. <br />
my oldest daughter at his age would try to swing at me. so im so proud of my sons choices. get yours to do the same (a walk, a punching bag anything to help)

Best Answer

My son is autistic, so it is complicated. I am going to start a sort of behavior management protocol with him. I think so much is building up in him right now that he can't cope very well. Yes...it's good advice. He needs some more physical activity, which is going to be part of it. It's hard to find things for him to do in the cold season.

Best Answer

The ones without testosterone are called daughters

Best Answer

Mine are away at college- It's easy to miss them!

Best Answer

Yep the hormones kicking in will do that....

Best Answer

I was thinking so. Any advice? Should I get him a treadmill, or take to tossing him into a cold shower? ;)

Best Answer