http://users.rider.edu/~suler/zenstory/emptycup.html It gives maybe an example of what is happening with some people in academics and their attitude about things. It seems as if people in academics become stuck with what they learn and in a matrix like world it becomes their reality. They might even believe what theyve been taught without questioning it. By going to school and learning they might forget to anaylizing things with a neutral mind, like a child might approach something, as if they are just starting to learn. They havnt emptied their cup. Things like knowledge, our expectations and our ego, and what we think is right might cloud our abillity to analyize things effectively. By learning academics we have put on a lens of how to see the world which might cloud our judgement when instead we should have worn a lens that was neutral. Empathy might be needed to remove this baised lens as it takes away the egocentric way of thinking that people can show in academics.
rnbdancer rnbdancer 26-30, M 3 Answers May 5 in Community

Why the focus today on academics I wonder?!! The ba<x>seline of academia is critical evaluation, and a broadening and deepening of knowledge beyond the every day. Empathy is about relationships, not academia

Best Answer

to be empathic is to understand ourself, to udnerstand ourself is to understand how we percieve the world?

Best Answer

I understand empathy. Do you understand academia? I'd say not

Best Answer

the problem with academics might be that when we're studying it as most might people see it, we forget to include ourself as being a part of the puzzle than just the subject we are studying. We are trying to understand the world around us and forget we we are a part of it. It might be like a stage magician who learns the theory side of illusions. He could be said ot have a better understanding of human nature, of others but also to udnerstand his own nature. He learns about how we interperate things. The problem might be is that most people dont think like a stage magican would do. They dont understand themself and how we connect to the world while they anlyize things. that the anaylizing of things isnt separate from ourself.

Best Answer

I don't think you're an academic somehow. I am, and disagree with every word you write. Sorry but it's nonsense

Best Answer

would you agree tho that having a preconcieved idea can have an influence on how we see the world compared ot someone who has a different one?

Best Answer

(not trying to attack u just looking at the topic)

Best Answer

Academia isn't about preconceived ideas. It's about uncovering them, and comparing and contrasting different ideas and backing up perspectives with evidence. So, I think you're kind of confused about this for some reason

Best Answer

how would u explain the difference in opions with scientists tho, when they can have different views on the same subject?

Best Answer

That's how academia should be. Of course they'll have different viewpoints. And then some make a living from their perspective, live off it but that's not academia

Best Answer

I've known quite a few wonderful intelligent creative people who lost their souls in the jungle of university politics. Back in the 70s, when every office had to have its token black, I had a good friend who was the token Marxist. Of course, every time there were budget cuts the commie was the first to go. He ended up a PhD delivering pizzas.

Best Answer

Yes...true! You have put it across well! The cup needs many refills!

Best Answer