darkice123 darkice123 36-40, M 11 Answers Sep 12, 2012 in Community

Classic Pilkington. <br />
A good argument for this is when we see something in our sleep, people say that it's our mind trying to tell us something. In which case, the mind is a seperate entity and thus I think it controls us. But who knows.

Best Answer

That's a great question. I'll have to think about it. Or make my mind think about it. Or will my mind think about it whether I want it to or not? And who am I? Is it me asking this question, or is it my mind, and can I control my mind?

Best Answer

This reminds me of an interesting discussion in Philosophy. In the field of 'Philosophy of Mind' there are several theories about mind-body duality, if this is what you are pointing at.<br />
Rene Descartes debated that the mind is seperate from the body (res cogitans: a thinking thing, res extensa: extended thing/the body), but there are several other views on this, like that there is no seperate entity, but that all there is, is our brain. Like Swaab said: 'We are our brain'. If you are interested in this topic, I recommend to you to further look into the subject of mind-body duality.

Best Answer

I would say our minds CAN control us. For the past few months I've been in Bipolar Depression. I have these constant beliefs that there is something wrong with my body.....I feel weak and uncoodinated. I had a scan and it was clear. The doctor says it will pass and that it's only part of depression. Somehow my mind has CONVINCED me it is omething more, something worse. I am at a loss as to how to reprogram my thinking :/

Best Answer

You make it sound like your mind is not you.

Best Answer

Do you believe we are who we want to be ?

Best Answer

Conscious elaborate thoughts are only a part of your mind.

Best Answer

Practically, our mind controls us. But it's still us so there's nothing wrong with that.

Best Answer