My belief is that all our decisions are based on three things: our genetics, our past experiences, and universal laws of physics.
Nihil4EVA Nihil4EVA 22-25, M 3 Answers Jan 5 in Science & Technology

not really. let me give an example

"sir, what kind of cheese would you like on your sandwich"

does that count?

Best Answer

i mean yes, i was saying no to your description lol

Best Answer

Your decision on whether or not to have cheese is dependant on your past experiences with cheese. If you had it before and didn't like it you probably won't want it. Not only that, but our brain/consciousness is just electro-chemical reactions. So YOU aren't really deciding anything. The law of electromagnetism and chemistry is really making the decision.

Best Answer

what about a favorite color?

Best Answer

Psychology, or past experiences, would deal with that question.

Best Answer

i can possibly understand maybe a traumatic experience dealing with a color or a very positive one but anything else escapes me. Would you give me the same answer if i mentioned music?

Best Answer

With music, our opinions are formed by hearing patterns in the music. Which patterns we find appealing would probably be based on a combination of genetics and the culture we were raised in.

Best Answer

That sounds a little far fetched to me. I would be much more inclined to believe that music preference is mainly related to the culture ( what you parents, friends, neighborhood, school, radio listened to) that one is brought up in, rather than a genetic sequence.

Our genetics are pretty much the same as when we were apes, correct? So how could we be pre-disposed to like something like music that did not even exist back then?

Best Answer

Yea I would agree that genetics is a bit far fetched, but genetics play a HUGE role in who are, so its not THAT far fetched. But culture definitely a factor. Some people are raised in a culture of a particular religion. Change the culture they were raised in and their beliefs change. And alot of non human primates DO enjoy music. The only difference is non human primates didn't have music. They can enjoy music because they are intelligent enough to recognize patterns in auditory stimuli.

Best Answer

I would like to read up on some studies that may have been done that point to where you stand in the argument.

Also the counterargument, so that we're not leading a one sided argument here.

Best Answer

Here's an article. http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8174000/8174534.stm Not only does this article confirm that chimpanzees enjoy music, but it says they are BIOLOGICALLY predisposed to enjoy certain music.

Best Answer

Yes we do have free will.

Best Answer

My genes don't tell me what do do. I've never tasted sushi , and one day i'll choose to taste it. I'm planning to buy a jet pack real soon

Best Answer

Your decision to taste sushi or buy a jet pack would be predetermined by electromagnetism and chemistry.

Best Answer

curiosity , I'm pretty damn retarded on both of those fields

Best Answer

Your curiosity could be explained by evolutionary psychology which would lead us back to your genetics.

Best Answer