Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise. - Frederick Douglass
GrumpyGrouchy GrumpyGrouchy 22-25, F 6 Answers Dec 20, 2013 in Community

It is ingrained in us humans by mother nature. My understanding is, as long as your own existence is not threatened, you have the luxury to be sympathetic to all and sundry.

Best Answer

3 words..the good Samaritan

Best Answer

Pity makes the pitier feel superior and keeps the pitied weak.

Don't pity......... the superior feeling is just an illusion alluding to hopes of being better.

mx:))

Best Answer

Great answer Micky :)

Best Answer

Aw........ thank you. Is it a bezie? mx:))

Best Answer

What's a bezie? lol sorry I googled and still clueless. Don't know much slang.

Best Answer

Bezie, B.A., best answer.......... please pardon my slang, I've mixed with the wrong people in recent weeks. mx:))

Best Answer

Hey, nual.... and YEAY for B.A. ty (that's thank you), mx:)) (that's Micky with a kiss and a smile)

Best Answer

Unfortunately it's the truth. You can only feel so much sympathy for people who do the same mistake over and over again. However those who fight will not earn pity, even if they are weak. Only those who sit and do nothing but bemoan their fate.

Best Answer

No not really.

Best Answer

So you'd still have sympathy for them, even when they can't fix themselves?

Best Answer

Yeah

Best Answer

:)

Best Answer

it's a cynical truth, i'll grant it that much

Best Answer

That's just sad :'(

Best Answer

it's also not true, cosmically speaking

Best Answer

I still hope there's unlimited sympathy.

Best Answer