How can so much confusion and cynicism be stuffed into two sentences? I would rather not have responded to this question but the CURRENT EVENTS questions tonight are so cynical that it so happened that your question was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. <br />
Your statement, regardless of the opinion it expresses, is rationally inconsistent. "Our ability to laugh at ourselves" is not a matter of free speech and its replacement with "a sense of alienation and suspicion" is not an infringement of free speech. Thus, however people feel about their ability to laugh at themselves, or whether it has been replaced by "a sense of alienation and suspicion", has NOTHING to do with free speech or whether the US as a country "pretends to honor free speech".<br />
If by "honor free speech" you are referring to constitutionally protected speech, then your statement is also factually wrong since social attitudes, if that is what you meant, are not protected by law. <br />
I'm all for free ex<x>pression without judgement but can we just put a little more thought into it. <br />
P.S. I think you meant to say "It's under details, it was too long to post." instead of "Its under details it was to long to post."

Best Answer

That was something I copied and pasted from somebody else, and if you read their whole paragraph you would understand a little better at how other people...YES!!! OTHER PEOPLE....actually feel about America. I do believe people take things to personally. That's why.....even though you didn't want to say anything, you did. Why? Because I somehow managed to upset you with my freedom of speech. I also believe that if I kept saying personal mean things about you...you would block me. That's how the media is!!! They need to realize that there are 7 billion people on this planet and not everyone THINKS bad thoughts toasted them. I'm not saying I'm not guilty(taking things to personally) of it too. You as well as most of America need to relax. Don't get so bent out of shape because of other peoples thoughts. Just like I could care less that you felt the need to correct my spelling. I bet it made you feel so superior.

Best Answer

And if I can make you feel good about yourself then I'm happy. :)

Best Answer

It is not your freedom of speech that I responded to, rather I found that your statement to be, as with so many others on EP, a confusion of unrelated and irrelevant issues to support a general cynical attitude towards this country. Just as you found your opinion to be sufficiently worthwhile to share with others, I also found it worthwhile to share my own opinion about it. I did so because this often stated cynicism re-enforces an attitude that is very harmful to a participatory Democracy such as ours. If you noticed I did not make any assumptions about you, your person or your motives, which is what you did in your reply.

Best Answer

Do ideas matter so little that we should all just smile even when we feel that they are harmful?

Best Answer

Oh yeah. Let me guess. We're talking about America.

Best Answer

It is true that America no longer honors free speech, but I hope you are wrong that our ability to laugh at ourselves is gone forever.

Best Answer

It was just something I read on another persons post. I don't believe that for all people but I do think too many people are afraid of criticism so when they hear a joke or even a personal opinion...they themselves (I'm also guilty of this at times) take it way to personally. "There are 7 billion people in this planet....trust me, we don't all NOT like you." is what I'd say to someone who gets a bad review in the paper.

Best Answer

No

Best Answer

I have not experience that where I live..I live in Seattle and i travel all over the country.

Best Answer