NurseC NurseC 18-21, F 35 Answers Jan 10, 2013 in EP

No i Australia waiters are paid decent wages because they are mostly unionised. If i was in the US i would tip because of they are shamefully exploited by their evil greedy bosses.

Best Answer

If you ever feel like stepping down from your high horse...

Best Answer

No need for a high horse i am walking on the side walk. The US is the one who treats their hard working labour to the gutter.

Best Answer

As an American I did try to tip once, here in Australia, the server came and returned the money I "forgot". Different country different customs

Best Answer

I always do, but it's getting ridiculous, having to tip 20% for just about everything.

Best Answer

I think the person should decide what they give, but remember tips are a big deal and if the service is good 10% or so isn't unreasonable?

Best Answer

I always tip, unless the service is completely terrible, which it rarely is... but I do it because it's expected and because there is a class of people who FREAK if you don't... most of them were at one time servers themselves. But I've always been confused on the necessity of it... I've worked food service MANY times in my life and have always done an amazing job at it whether I was making minimum wage or not because it was my job, not because I expected a bonus for doing what I was paid to do.<br />
"We rely heavily on tips," is kind of strange to think about. Do they pay less than minimum wage? And if so, why are you working there? There's a McDonald's around the corner that will pay you minimum? They do it because of the tips... I have heard a million times how: "it's a crappy job, but the tips are great." So it's this little bonus that has now become the norm... maybe servers do rely heavily on tips, but it's more likely that they got the job in the first place because they knew they'd make cash on the side. It irritates me that my tips aren't a compliment to the person, they aren't me saying how much I appreciate that they did a great job... <br />
I've worked around the public all my life and now, as a police dispatcher, I deal with the best and the worst of the public on a daily basis and I do my job without expecting every person whose life I help save or every person who I talk through some of the hardest moments in their life to send me a check afterward that reflects my job performance. I make a little more than a server, but not as much more as you'd think. And even WHEN I did work at Taco Bell, at Safeway food in the deli and at a cafe on our college campus, I wasn't allowed to ask for tips so I SOMEHOW managed on minimum wage. <br />
So I'll keep leaving a tip on the table because it's socially acceptable, but it wont be because I'm just that magnanimous and my server was so super awesome... it will be because this is America and if you can legally milk another dollar out of somebody while on the job, then obviously people are going to make it the standard.<br />
I don't expect to make a lot of friends with this reply, but I'm just being honest. I don't have a personal problem with servers, as I said I've done it along with many other far less glamorous jobs, but this has always baffled me. This and the attitude that servers seem to have about it. Not grateful, entitled... it sort of kills the compliment.

Best Answer

I loved this response and agree with every last word!

Best Answer

lol, you know I didn't expect the first reply to be a positive one. Thank you, I saw it pop up and was sitting here wincing at what I thought I'd find.

Best Answer

I agree with your viewpoint as well! I tip because it's custom but I always wonder why other minimum wage jobs don't get tips. Furthermore, it seems like the industry is getting greedy. It used to be 10% of total bill, then 15% and now they ask for 20%. I don't resent it. It's my choice whether I want to eat out or not...but lately I choose not to because it's getting to expensive.

Best Answer

I agree with you totally, except that I think I do resent it when I go and pay for my meal - then we do the dance of who has cash for the server. And it's not a choice anymore, no matter what people will say. It's people like this guy WizGeezer and his comment beneath mine that are the problem, dramatically calling people who don't want to pay tips things like "human trash." That's usually how the reaction is, though, it's dramatic and extreme and nobody knows why everybody is so mad about it - they just are lol... Unless they were or are servers and feel absolutely justified getting pissy if they don't get a table-by-table bonus for doing a job they are paid to do in the first place. We don't eat out much anymore. The reason is two-fold but one half of it is that I see no point is paying for the food and then again for the person who served it to us. I love to cook, I've gotten pretty good at it after years of practice and that's the second reason. Why waste MY hard earned dollars putting myself in a situation I can create at home and that would most likely have irritated me and my husband anyway?

Best Answer

I do agree that if you don't want to tip, don't eat out.

Best Answer

We still do every once in a while because it's nice once in a while, but not nearly as often as we used to. But telling people who don't like to tip to stop eating out is kind of similar to telling people who expect tips to get a better job if they want more money... same logic, just as rude.

Best Answer

It's not my responsibility to take care of your paycheck, that's your bosses job and to be honest - before servers started acting so entitled and greedy, I was far more glad to pay them a compliment with some cash for their services. Now it's expected and there is really no point except to avoid getting dirty looks as you leave the restaurant.

Best Answer

You get what you pay for. So basic service is all you'd get. If that's acceptable to you, it's perfectly easy for a waiter/waitress to do as well.

Best Answer

Yes. Stiffing a waiter/waitress who provided adequate service is the behavior of human trash who has no business eating in this type of an establishment.

Best Answer

I like your pc answer! ;)

Best Answer

Thank you Ma'am (assuming you're not being sarcastic).

Best Answer

Not this time!

Best Answer

Wiz and expecting a tip with poor service is cheap to.

Best Answer

That's why I made it a point to specify 'adequate service.'

Best Answer

Having been a waitress, I know all the crap you have to take from some people, so I always leave a tip. There has been only one incident that I did not and that was because the waitress was a total b**** with us.

Best Answer

Im always very generous, theyare trying to make a living too. I don't make a ton of money but I know what it means to work for it so I appreciate it when I see someone else working hard.

Best Answer

I do always always tip at least 15%. If the service is especially good, I will tip around 20-25% of my bill. I also take into consideration things like the time spent at our table...if friends and I are chatting and taking up a table I will tip more even for less than stellar service because I do understand we could have caused the server to miss out on more tips from another table full of diners.<br />
HOWEVER...I just want to add that when I've spent any time in the company of restaurant servers who were off duty and they talked about tipping, I was absolutely appalled. I don't know where some of them (including a couple of friends) get off thinking that people need to tip them $5+ on a $5 sandwich, or that tipping 30% should be the new norm. That is getting ridiculous and seems like an entitlement mentality. If you are that underpaid and miserable in your serving job then maybe you should find a different job. Just my .02

Best Answer

I totally agree. It seems like logic to me also, that if you hate your job you find a new one, but I've found that most servers actually STAY for the tips.

Best Answer

I agree. I used to work with a girl years ago who said that she liked working in busy, nice restaurants because even if all of her diners just tipped 10% she still went home with enough to pay her rent in 1 weekend! That girl had a good attitude. She didn't stick with it for life though ;-) She is an attorney now.

Best Answer

Tipping is NOT compulsory down under <br />
if they do a decent job then yes I will leave them a tip

Best Answer

always do.. at least 20% or more...

Best Answer

It would seem that getting good service these days is harder than ever, I still tip for ok service, but I seem to get carried away when it's really good!!!!

Best Answer

I always tip. I've worked jobs that involve tipping, so I always try to tip well.

Best Answer

Only if they earn it. Not letting my food dry out under the heat lamps while they hehehaha on the cell phone doesn't cut it.

Best Answer

Depends what is printed on the bill. If there is charge as 'service tax', I will pay the tip. But if it is charged as 'service charge', then No.

Best Answer

I refuse to pay a service tax

Best Answer

did you know tips is an acronym which stands for to ensure proper service

Best Answer

the east in the word in sure is supposed to be in Hawaiiwow this is funny this talk to text feature is pretty messed up

Best Answer

I didn't but it is not entirely true. I have a level of service I don't go below but if someone tips well and they return I up my game for them.

Best Answer

Nursec you should do the first time and ensure they come back.

Best Answer

If I want to sleep with him for the night, I'll chuck in an extra 5 dollars so he can get himself a condam. But lyk idk, if its a female lyk lyk lyk lyk lyk ajkhgkmlrw

Best Answer

Yes , only nazis and jewbags wouldn't.

Best Answer

Be prepared to run.

Best Answer

I don't run and damn good at leaving a quarter for 2 bit service!

Best Answer

yes

Best Answer

Yeah as it's common courtesy

Best Answer

Oh, always!

Best Answer