jsmithemail jsmithemail 36-40, F 9 Answers Sep 6, 2012 in Community

The legend originated from Plato apparently. None of his contemporaries had heard the story before (Aristotle was convinced that Plato invented it). Plato claimed the stories originated with the Egyptians.<br />
I'd say the most likely candidate was the Minoan civilisation of Crete and other nearby islands. That flourished between about 1800 and 1400 BC - a good 1000 years before Plato.<br />
Certainly there is no doubt that the Minoans existed, that they were a great civilisation ba<x>sed on large islands and that one of their largest settlements was destroyed by the Thera erruption.

Best Answer

The old story apparently referred to a volcanic island near Greece. It blew up in a massive eruption in something like 1,000 BCE. Not much is left of the island. The tsunami flooded many waterfront towns in the Mediterranean.

Best Answer

Yes. There's a documentary on it. Only problem is the space vampires :(

Best Answer

I do. Unfortunately I can't prove it. So I'm possibly wrong.

Best Answer

Yes, it was Thera, now called Santorini

Best Answer