knowmad knowmad 22-25, M 7 Answers Mar 26, 2011

I think it is psycho-babble, just like borderline personality disorder is. Sadly, for many that are diagnosed with one of these made up disorders it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Mental health providers can be helpful, but very dangerous at the same time.

Best Answer

yeah I see what you mean..like labeling someone who drinks alcohol and labeling them a *diseased alcoholic* hmm wot you think?

Best Answer

Some good answers i wont' repeat. <br />
The term disease creates ambiguity when used in psychology. Perhaps it was coined to balance the other problem that people who don't understand how deeply em<x>bedded some psychological problems can be just think people should wake up and stop it. That kind of ignorance hacks me off. <br />
But no, not a disease.

Best Answer

I agree "creates ambiguity" thank you :)

Best Answer

it exists..but i wouldn't call it a disease..more like a type of illness.

Best Answer

I think co-dependency exists, but I don't think of it as a psychological disease, per se. It is easy to use people to get what you need out of life, much easier than owning up to your own mistakes. I think people fall into a comfort zone and just give up trying to improve themselves. Obesity is also labeled a disease, but in reality, you can own up to your own shortfalls with food and exercise and fix it. (Now, before some people jump all over that last statement like it's a personal platform, yes, I understand that sometimes medical issues cause weight gain without intent and that there is little to be done about it. I'm not talking about those people.) Can co-dependency cause real psychological harm? Yes, absolutely, but it isn't a disease.

Best Answer

that was brilliant..thank you :)

Best Answer

To me it is a behavior.

Best Answer

:)

Best Answer

No matter how you label a dependency, it's psychologically ba<x>sed. It's real. It exists. I have a couple friends that have been together for 29 years. They are so profoundly codependent I can't be around them sometimes. One does everything and the other is always sick with this or that. Psychologically, they both get something they need from it. The one who does everything, including going to work and paying the bills, always acts like a martyr. Like she is so put upon. But, she is fullfilling a need of her own.They deny they are codependent.Codependency with substances starts out as a psychological need to fill an emptyness, kill some type of pain and then becomes a physical dependency.To say it's made up psycho babble sounds like it doesn't exist.

Best Answer

but we can't label that a disease..would you agree??

Best Answer