Yes. Offering up your suffering can and does make a difference in your perspective on life. To be able to recognize that you are truly just "human" and have made a mistake and will make others is a gift. It allows you to live without regret or denial. Penance can be learning not to judge others as quickly next time or going out of your way to help someone stuck in a place that you know what it feels like. Penance, it's good for the soul. It can solidify a step forward and a step away from old mistakes and habits.

Best Answer

Love your answer. Wish I could "like" it ten times!

Best Answer

yes, makes one stronger.

Best Answer

you stole my answer, and you're 100% right.

Best Answer

yes, but I don't think it will lead to forgiveness for some of the worst things. Then again, who knows what's possible?

Best Answer

yes

Best Answer

Do I think its generally a good idea for we human beings to recognize when we have erred and to do something tangible that emphasizes that fact and maybe helps us to avoid future errors of that kind? Yes. I most certainly think people who perform pennances are participating in an 2000 year old practice that results in more ethical people.

Best Answer

In the catholic sense of the word< I believe it's very wrong. It's another completely non sc<x>riptural ritual practice that is basically saying that Jesus didn't do enough.<br />
Matt 6:7<br />
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Best Answer

The classic Fundamentalist response. Of the many dozens of mistranslations presented by the King James Bible, this one is beloved of professional anti Catholics who try to insinuate with it that Ctholics stand condemned by scripture for saying the rosary, in which the Our Father and Hail Mary are repeated. The actual text should read, "But in praying, do not multiply words as the Gentiles do." It was not "repetition" but "much speaking" that was condemned, as St Augustine said, "Christ does not forbid much praying, but much speaking."

Best Answer

HUH!

Best Answer