I have borderline personality disorder coupled with manic depression and obsessive cumpulsive disorder and regular bouts of the urge to plan suicide. Mental health issues should never be a stigma of any degree, instead people should learn to accept and welcome those with any diagnosis of mental health so each and every one of us can communicate much better, thus reducing the feelings of isolation which can really gnaw at your mind.

Best Answer

I believe in 'mental illness' because I have been treated for generalized anxiety disorder & clinical depression for over 17 years, &, it is very difficult to explain to people that '...depression hurts...' or that '...there is a stigma attached to those who suffer from mental illness...' Everyone experiences some form of anxiety or depression in their lifetime, however, it can be overcome if the right dosage of medication is taken, a proper diet is followed, and care is taken to ensure the individual with 'mental illness' gets enough exercise & rest.

Best Answer

I have anorexia nervosa and suffer both psychologically and physically from this disorder. You can take a good look at me, both my appearance and my behavior, and know that I have this disorder. It almost took my life away from me last summer. These days, when I go to bed at night, I don't even know if I'm going to wake up in the morning, because of anorexia nervosa. I am 54 years old and have had this disorder since I was 22. Yes, mental illnesses are real.<br />
To answer your second question, even getting to the root of the problem and understanding that everything I do is by all means "Illogical" doesn't seem to stop me from doing these unhealthy behaviors. And no, it is not by choice that I have this illness.

Best Answer

Yes, Neurons, axons, dendrites, and synapse, as well as the chemicals that trigger electrical impulses, known as neurotransmitters are quite real.

Best Answer

No one is doubting that. So how do YOU define 'mental illness'?

Best Answer

In it's simplest terms, it is an interruption or anomaly in normal brain activity that occurs without the benefit of drugs over a specific period of time. That;s MY definition.

Best Answer

yeah I dont doubt they exist, please dont get me wrong!

Best Answer

sometimes drugs have nothing to do with it..

Best Answer

Of course. I would say most mental illnesses have nothing to do with drugs that have been ingested, but there are mental illnesses that are caused by drug abuse. Amphetamine psychosis. for example.

Best Answer

Sure do. I have a schzophrenic uncle, I have depression and Im pretty sure i have borderline personality disorder I fit 7 criteria for it I just have never sought treatment

Best Answer

Depression and borderline personality disorder are both serious forms of mental illness that need to be treated with enough medication and respect that is afforded to those with anorexia nervosa and/or bulimia. Eating disorders, hoarding of small animals, obsessing over past and/or future events, etc. are very serious signs of mental illness and should never be trivialized.

Best Answer

Most definitely

Best Answer

No, I don't believe in mental illness. I believe in physical illnesses that affect the brain and mental state. 'Mental illness' sounds like you are crazy or something.

Best Answer

so you do not believe in post traumatic stress, anxiety, bi-polar, borderline emotionally unstable personality disorder, fear, panic etc all of which are under the umbrella of mental health. Whilst you are free to raise your own opinion, I think it only fair to say you are being somewhat naive about the subject. It does not imply that a person is crazy if they have mentsl health problems. The word you were thinking of rather than mental is 'insane', now to be 'insane' would be termed as being crazy. I hope I have made things clearer for you to understand.

Best Answer

I simply mean that I believe most mental problems have something to do with the physical body. The brain, being part of the body is just as vulnerable to illness as any other part. Medication wouldn't help if it wasn't correcting a physical problem, would it? I don't know-I'm not a doctor-it's just my opinion.

Best Answer

I AM NOT INSANE!!! EVERYONE ELSE IS

Best Answer

Raises her hand... I do. I suffer from Panic Attacks, anxiety and i have ADHD. People who don't believe are just ignorant.

Best Answer

but at the same time, if you identified what exactly was making you have panic attacks for example and worked on the root of the issue, the panic attacks would probably dissapear, but since youve been told that this is something you have now, you tell yourself its going to keep happening, and that your ill and you ignore the reasons you get that way in the first place

Best Answer

dont get me wrong, i believe the symptoms exist

Best Answer

I understand your point and I am working to find the source and how to use tools to deal with the panic attacks. But even my therapist who also has anxiety tells me it will never go away all I will be able to do is calm myself down and manage it. But how about my ADHD? that's not something I can just say hey brain can you please make more Dopamine?

Best Answer

i apologize im not coming across right and I dont mean to offend anyone. And im not saying all mental illnesses do not exist, i think i need to be more specific.. our minds are definately complicated 'things'

Best Answer

You don't need to apologize at least not to me. I actually think your question is valid because topics like this bring awareness to Mental Health.

Best Answer

I used to think they weren't real and that the person could control it on their own but<br />
My mom has a mental illness and I saw what she was like without her medications and I didn't even know who she was. It was scary and I hope to never see that again. So yes I believe in mental illness

Best Answer

No I think it's a figment of your mind , no difference between a mental or physical illness , both stem from something going wrong in the body , your mind is part of your body last time I checked .

Best Answer

k sorry but thats a really stupid question. Mental Illnesses exist. My mum's in one.

Best Answer

everyone has their perspective... im not stating mine.. just asking others views

Best Answer