Forwards or backwards or not at all?
freeed freeed 61-65, M 44 Answers May 28, 2010

I didn't an hour from now.

Best Answer

I believe that HG Wells couldn't have written his stuff about women's liberation, space travel and technology without having moved forward in time. His era would not have been able to have conceived of such things

Best Answer

Dear friend, you underestimate the power of the imagination. Someone said and Bobby Kennedy said something like " Men see things and ask WHY? I see things and ask WHY NOT?" It's not time travel.

Best Answer

Actually, Wells wrote VERY little that came true, and people LONG before him thought of the things you state. In fact, Wells was a Johnny-come-lately, writing in a time when people like Verne and hundreds of others were writing stories like his. That's the whole reason for all the ''steam-punk' things. Sci-fi in Victorian times was so read that it was almost common. T,hose times were rich in it, which isn't surprising, since the common person saw new things being invented everyday, and new ideas appearing so often daily, thanks to new ways to tell so many others on the other side of the world.

Best Answer

I am sorry but. wells coined the phrase or name for the atom bomb, if not for Well the U.S. may have not developed it first. In " The world set free" He accurately predicted it's existence and scientifically explained it's implications "fallout" and predicted it would be used in the second WW. If not for Well's book and his avocation for world peace Einstein would have never wrote the warning letter to Roosevelt and the Manhattan project would have never been started.H.G. Wells is responsible for the most prophetic accounts of the future of all time.

Best Answer

He did it again in 'First Men in the moon". Scientist employed by NASA used his book to create vehicles. where to launch, and where to land the capsule among other thing. I could go on, but that should be enough proof that he was capable of great foresight.

Best Answer

It would have been hard for Wells to NOT write about such things, since people had been reading about such subject for years before Wells ripped-off his first story from other writers ( something he did many times)Woman's lib was first written about in newspapers starting around the late 1850s. Space travel had been written about by Verne and many others for over 50 years before the 1900s when Wells wrote, and wells was a teen when the world was going through it's great age of invention. Wells didn't see the future, just the great changes that were going on around him.
By the way, Verne wrote Sci-fi, Wells did not. Wells wrote Fantsy, such as Men in the Moon when science had been saying for many years life couldn't live there (He had TREES on the surface of the Moon. He had going to the moon by an anti-grav chemical which still doesn't exist (Verne laugh at him for that when they met "At least I used Gunpower, something I can hold in my hand. Show me YOUR Cavite!!"He wrote of a invisble man, again fansty, and still not come to be. War of the Worlds was the closest he ever came to Sci-fi, but he never explained why the Marsian machines worked so well on a planet with so much gravity and wrote about life on Mars at a time when very few people believed in life on Mars anymore (Poor P.L. was laughed at for suggesting that and the idea of the canals because most of the world knew of the tests 10 years with light that proved Mars had VERY little air) H.G. Wells didn't see the future at all. All he saw was the daily newspaper and fan mail that foolish readers sent.. More's the pity..

Best Answer

I do, and we might have done it already, BUT we would never KNOW!! See, here's the problem: say I wanted to go back into time to stop Martin L. Kings murder. I go back into time and pop his murderer in the head an hour before he shoots King. But here's the problem; if I go back into time and stop King's murder, then there is no murder to go back and stop. If there is no murder to stop there's no reason to travel back in time, thus I never would have traveled back in time in the first place. So if a person is standing on a time machine waiting for it to work then since changing the past actually STOPS the person from going into the past, maybe the time machine actually WORKED and we didn't know it. For all we know, since anything we do in the past changes the future (our present), the time machine was actually invented YEARS ago! But since it DOES work, we would NEVER know it!! All together now: ''Huh??????!!!''

Best Answer

An excellent example, thank you! Newspaper and other records of Martin"s death, may he rest in peace, are available widely. Let's say you DID prevent his assassination - why would every newspaper in the world printed in between his death till you went back to stop it change? They already exist and we'd be left wondering WHY they were printed!

Best Answer

Actually, since the event that would start the articles being written would have been stopped, ALL the articles would have vanished as soon as the event was stopped. There would be NO articles to wonder about AT ALL. It would be like telling someone you would call them when you got to the end of a trip, and then staying with them and NOT taking the trip. No trip taken, no reason to call from someplace you didn't go to and it would be impossible to do so since you never went there...

Best Answer

LMAO lol think i like that :( i think .

Best Answer

There a flaws in this, I don't want to pick on you really. This is just a opinion since it is still hypothetical. It would only Change the future only because the person traveling back in time exists, you would only have to find someone who was old enough and capable to travel that far back. Again Hypothetical theory.

Best Answer

I believe in premonitions and precognitive visions - that's sort of like time travel - as in your memories travels back in time from the near future. Future memories - perhaps that's how people can time travel.

Best Answer

Now I go out on the limb. I've HAD an undeniably precognitive dream with people, ob<x>jects, colors, and words shown in a dream that occurred 2 years later. I didn't travel through time, but SOMETHING did.<br /><br />
There are [usually never studied] mathematical manifolds with closed time-like light cone loops in which a SIGNAL can be transmitted to the past, but it's light, not matter.

Best Answer

But is light a particle or a wave? Who's observing?

Best Answer

Mainstream physics recognizes the wave-particle duality of light. It is both. In a dream the observer is obvious...the self.

Best Answer

Well, I know that levitation is possible - both without technology and with (e.g. UFOs); raising the consciousness and experiencing the Universe from a higher dimensional level where Past-Present-Future are all simultaneously able to be seen is possible; so undoubtedly travel through time or even across different timelines must also be possible - to those who know the necessary technique.

Best Answer

The theoretical possibility of multple dimensions, with the past, present, future, all happening at the same time and occupying the same place, why not?

Best Answer

I have an odd personal reason for not believing in muitple dimensions where there's other mes and other Earths and anything is possible. And that simple, personal reason is; why haven't I met that other Katfather yet? If all things are possible in another time-line in unending multi-universes made by changing the past, then I would have had a visit from the Katfather who would have have the means and genius to make a time-dimension machine to visit me. But so far, he hasn't come knocking at my door, so I doubt very much there is such another Katfather.
Of course, you do realize that the problem with having multi-universes where anything is possible is the same problem with thinking you could have EVERYTHING.
It's simple, actually. You can't have everything because one of the things you would have is NOTHING. If you have NOTHING, then you don't have ANYTHING. And if you don't have ANYTHING, you can't have EVERYTHING.
So too with having MULTI-Universes where anything can happen, because then you would have a universe which there are no multiuniverses.
Pancakes and Paradoxes every Saturday morning at Katfather's Resturant..please pass the asprin..

Best Answer

I think that travel to the past is definately possible, considering the subject of time on "planes," but I don't know too much about the future. Whether or not the "planes" are already put into place or not is a mystery to me.

Best Answer

Of course I believe in Time Travel. I have a past, a present and a future that I travel through. This is called Life. Also, see Chaos by James Gleick for the apprehension of nonlinear time constructs.

Best Answer

If MICHIO KAKU believes in it SO DO I...AMEN

Best Answer

Of course Time travel is possible if you have the techology,Beings from other far distant Universes have been visiting us since time began,they know how to use wormholes and they are far more advanced they we are.They can and do travel in time from the future.

Best Answer

Even with wormholes, "impossible " distances may be spanned but time still moves forward.

Best Answer

I will tell you yesterday.

Best Answer

Absolutely. Afterall we are time traveling now - right?

Best Answer

no, not likely with our capibilities. Any interesting point to make is we havent seen visitors from the future. So its not likely our species will be able to accomplish this task. Another major problem with time travel you will need a very strong energy source like from a black hole. Since us humans can't generate black holes because of many limitations in physics, its almost impossible to generate a worm hole and maintain one. The law of worm holes requires a TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF EMERGY TO KEEP ONE OPEN. The amoutn of emergy to generate a worm hole will be many times more than to travel the same distance.

Best Answer

That no visitors from the future notion always seems like proof to me. The exception, and this is for laughs, OK, was the "7 Days" series a few years back where the traveler could go back but no further than seven days. It was fun to watch; I don't believe it. Yet.

Best Answer

Great question.... <br />
Since it isn't specifically precluded by quantum physics, it is then by default - included in the range of possibilities. <br />
In perspective, before the atom was "split" the possibility enjoyed the same distinction.

Best Answer

I wasn't going to confuse the issue, but "tachyons" are said to move backwards in time. Don't know if they are theoretical or observed. Star Trek doesn't count. LOL

Best Answer

Of course not! It does not exist!!! (Sorry for the delayed reply, I was busy in 1998.)

Best Answer

I believe in all possibilities.

Best Answer

What about travelling "abroad to different countries and time zones!? do you think that is a sort of time travel!!??

Best Answer

SORT of....

Best Answer

yes, but only after mortal death.

Best Answer

Yes

Best Answer

Absolutely. I would *almost* go as far as to say that this is mathematically proven, and a well known fact;)

Best Answer

Since I'm open minded I'll politely ask you to direct me to those calculations which - as yet - I am ignorant of. PM me please.

Best Answer