LadyLouisiana LadyLouisiana 56-60, F 20 Answers Aug 31 in Health

Yes. I have never smoked. My stepfather smoked, but my mom made him smoke outside. He died of lung cancer/mesothelioma years back. Now my cousin and stepsister both smoke. It's something I don't understand. It's expensive. It has so many health risks. It's addictive and can come to be a real nuisance. It is unpleasant to smell. I don't understand why people ever start.

Best Answer

Yes passive smoking can be worse than active smoking because it is not filtered. I do not smoke and I do not allow anyone to smoke in my house even if there are no children.

Best Answer

Whether it causes cancer or not is a seperate issue of course but surely we all benefit more from breathing clean air rather than polluted just as we would our water.

Best Answer

I don't have children. As a smoker, I suppose this will sound biased, but I don't think second hand smoke is all that dangerous, it won't shorten you life if you pass me on the street when I am smoking a cigarette. Raising children in a house where parents smoke openly and constantly indoors I have little doubt, will harm their lungs.

Best Answer

I know second hand smoke bothers people (I care about) with asthma and makes me feel like I need to vomit because I am allergic to it!!!

Best Answer

Yes without a doubt it does, and I have seen the harm it can do

Best Answer

Yes. It's like breathing smog and other toxins. It's healthier if you don't

Best Answer

Smokers should be aware that even if they smoke outside and away from their children. The fumes that cling to their clothing can be harmful to children.

Best Answer

Okay, I think THAT is going a bit overboard. Give me a link to a 'proper' site that says this, please.

Best Answer

Okay. Will do a search of the literature and get back to you, BluCrystal.

Best Answer

SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY STUDY

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention carried out a study in conjunction with researchers from San Diego State University. This study looked at 49 households divided into three groups. Each family had a child under 1 year of age. The first group was a non-smoking control group. The second group was an indirect exposure group and the third was a direct exposure group. During the study, researchers measured the amounts of nicotine in the homes of participants – on the furniture, dust and air. Nicotine from smoking mothers’ fingers was also measured. Hair and urine samples were taken from each infant.
Researchers found much higher levels of nicotine in the indirect- and direct-exposure homes than in the no-exposure group. Researchers also found that nicotine levels in the living rooms and bedrooms of the direct-exposure families were much higher than they were for families of the indirect-exposure group. Nicotine and continine levels in the hair and urine of infants in direct-exposure families were much higher than infants in the indirect exposure group. Continine is a byproduct of nicotine broken down by the body. Nicotine measurements on the mothers’ fingers in both indirect- and direct-exposure families were similar.
Researchers concluded that parents in the indirect-exposure families still brought cigarette smoke and nicotine into their homes, exposing their babies to the harmful effects.

Best Answer

I do stand corrected. This would be THIRD-hand smoke.

Best Answer

RESPECT. Thank you. That was very informative.

Best Answer

You are welcome.

Best Answer

Second hand smoke IS harmful. Sadly, I have been a smoker for over 20 years. But I have learned (this is not an excuse for smoking) not to pollute anyone else's fresh air by smoking near them. Back when you could still smoke in restaurants, I would not, and if I really had to, I would go outside. I now have a grand baby on the way, and I do not smoke anywhere near her. You might call me a 'courteous smoker'. I will not light up in anyone's car unless they say it's okay and only if there are no children - if the parent is smoking, I will go as far as to give them a guilt trip for doing that. Same goes for other people's houses.

Best Answer

It definitely causes harm, we are breathing that stuff in.

Best Answer

I do not smoke. Just saw where the study that started all of the controversy was not only flawed but was untrue. Having said that, smoking in front of your kids is the best way to let them know it is ok to smoke.

Best Answer

I do not agree with those findings at all.

Best Answer

Both of my parents smoked. My dad smoked unfiltered Pall Malls. I am not saying smoking is good for you, just that second hand smoke is not as bad as you have been told. I would not be upset if they banned smoking. Just do it for the right reasons.

Best Answer

I go outside

Best Answer

When I smoked, and became aware of the dangers of second hand smoke, I stopped smoking when others, especially those I loved, were present.

Best Answer

Yes I do and if its not harming the children its harming yourself , of course that's your choice, but your mother earth would thank you if more people quit.. :))

Best Answer

I'm not believe ing it I know it cause I'd actually die if my parents would do so... Our lungs my twins and mine are bad enough as it is... We get asthma after just a few minutes... And no our mum didn't our adopted parents don't and all of them wouldn't let anyone else do so...

Best Answer

I smoke around my children, but in my defense, they are GROWN... lol

Best Answer

what about grandchildren and others?

Best Answer

I smoke outside

Best Answer

Yep. Nope, don't smoke. Yep. :)

Best Answer

When I did, I did it away from them. I quit many years ago.

Best Answer

Good.

Best Answer

ive never smoked in my life, i think people who smoke shouldnt expose others to it

Best Answer