cpgnatly cpgnatly 41-45, M 13 Answers Nov 8, 2012 in Community

it's infinite and constantly expanding, we will never know about the edge

Best Answer

Actually, an infinite universe does not expand. You need to expand the number of dimensions in your frame of observation to understand it.

Best Answer

i meant the whole mass with the galaxies and stars are expanding in the void, in the black mass

Best Answer

I was talking about the universe which I define as the set of everything.

Best Answer

i understand, the whole concept is too complicated and abstract to understand

Best Answer

I understand your concept. Do you understand the amount of energy that is? Do you understand that time is only another spacial dimension to a super observer?

Best Answer

i do and that makes my head explode

Best Answer

Then why do you think an infinite universe expands? Only a finite universe can expand. An infinite universe has no bounds to expand upon. I think you are misunderstanding something.

Best Answer

how do you imagine something as big in an indefinite location to be finite? of course i may not understand everything, i'm not a science major.

Best Answer

Well, actually, we cannot imagine infinite. That's how I discovered our minds are all finite. Once I had that down, it wasn't difficult to discover an infinite thing does not expand. Expansion requires space-time and finite energy. In an infinite universe, all times exist.

Best Answer

Both, the universe keeps expanding, but resources could be finite, because if the consumption rate is higher than the universe can expand, it's finite. Although it might never deplete because the universe renews it, but as long as it runs out it's finite.

Best Answer

In the superset of the universe, you cannot have both. The super ray doesn't exist. It's a line or segment if we put it all into one dimension. No ray.

Best Answer

In a way it's both, the resources will never deplete so that makes it infinite, yet if beings consume it faster than it is being produced in a way it is finite, yet infinite.

Best Answer

There is no consumption of energy. Energy merely changes state. If energy is magically disappearing, the universe is probably finite and will end.

Best Answer

I meant natural resources, energy is infinite, unless beings somehow find a way to harvest that and consume it so rapidly that the universe can't produce energy quick enough.

Best Answer

Natural resources are minor. The sun will consume them in 4 to 12 billion years.

Best Answer

Yes, thus they are finite. Yet the universe is infinite.

Best Answer

Just because something changed doesn't make it finite. It's still around, just not in the form you wanted it to be in.

Best Answer

Not entirely true, do you know that scientifically, when humans create energy like ie electricity, you always get less than you put in.

Best Answer

Electricity is not created. The "lose" you are citing does not disappear either. Energy is neither created nor destroyed. Furthermore, we know that mass turns to light from nuclear explosion and light turns to mass from black holes collecting it. Electricity is just another change and it involves heat and mass. I'm well aware of thermodynamics and how energy storage works.

Best Answer

Ah ok, then my science teacher was even dumber than I thought hahaha, good to know though.

Best Answer

Your teacher either did not know or failed to communicate the conservation of energy.

Best Answer

Probably both lol.

Best Answer

It's so big that to me, it doesn't matter which it is.

Best Answer

Respect Indifference!

Best Answer

Ironically, it does matter. If you guess wrong, your strategy will have bad results.

Best Answer

Finite.

Best Answer

infinite

Best Answer

An admirable guess. Might I inquire why you guessed that?

Best Answer

I think it is generally understood that it is expanding and therefore has an edge, so it must be finite. I suspect when it runs out of energy it will contract and start all over. Like heart beating.<br />
A better question might be is the space the universe is expanding into finite or infinite? I think infinite might the answer to that one.

Best Answer

If it starts all over does it have a beginning or end? Isn't that infinite?

Best Answer

It wouldn't be the same universe, it would be a new universe in the same space.

Best Answer

I define the universe as the set of everything. I would guess this might change your answer?

Best Answer

I don't know what that means, "the set of everything".

Best Answer

It means the set of all things. If there is a space, a time, an energy particle, another dimension past our own, everything.

Best Answer

I believe it's finite..but what does a fish know about the land?

Best Answer

It's a fair guess.

Best Answer

As infinite as my ever expanding mind. ;)

Best Answer

Your mind is finite. I find your answer confusing. Did you mean to answer finite and make fun of infinite or did you simply fall into the Nihilist trap? I'm being rough to see just how flexible an expanding mind is. It isn't personal. Well, maybe just a little. ;)

Best Answer

LoneAlpha: haha ;}

Best Answer

My thought processes are like super novas annihilating Mitochondria in the ever expanding void that is my mind. The planets are my synapses. The dark energy of folding time is the reason.

Best Answer

:}

Best Answer

My guess is the local galaxies are being pulled apart by densities outside our field of view. Your mind is no void. Void only exists if the universe is finite.

Best Answer

I said ever expaning void which is the space between celestial bodies.

Best Answer

Space between celestial bodies is not a void. It's space. A void is dimensionless and can only exist with a finite universe.

Best Answer

I see your point and my counter point is nana nana boo boo. :p

Best Answer

I disproved Nihilism about 5 years ago. It taught me perception is a subset, not the superset. I had an unfair advantage. I have control of my dreams. Nihilism is actually an excellent philosophy for dreams. It's pathetic for reality but most practitioners are too arrogant to see the truth.

Best Answer

I doubt there's an end. Can you imagine just hitting a massive void wall where you can't go any further? <br />
It probably goes on and on, but the vast majority of it is just void. Nothing.

Best Answer

Space is not nothing. I do propose that a universe with finite energy is in fact finite though. Would you disagree? The reason I say this is that finite energy in an infinite space eventually spreads out into something akin to nothing.

Best Answer